Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can A E682 Be Used Wireless?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Can A E682 Be Used Wireless?

I have an E682 I bought a few years back and I'm adding a Raspberry Pi 3. Is it possible to set the E682 to wireless or does it have to have a static connection. I can't find anything in the manual to run it wireless. It is firmware version 4. 51 and PCB version 1.3.
    Last edited by FishKing; 12-23-2018 at 03:56 PM. Reason: More Info

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Can A E682 Be Used Wireless?

The e682 has to have a static connection.

3. Thanks FishKing thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Can I run a static connection from the Pi to the E682 and still run wireless on the Pi to access the Pi from my computer in the house?

Post Thanks / Like

The E682 only supports a wired Ethernet connection. With that said, it is possible to get what is called a "Wireless Media Adapter" which connects to your wifi and typically has four CAT5 ethernet connectors to which you can attach devices such as youe E682.

2018 - Moving and going to visit my Daughter in New Zealand. Most likely I will be dark or nearly dark, Some static stuff that is simple to put up.

6. Thanks FishKing thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If you want to have a flakey/crap show, by all means, use multicast and wifi.

Wired unicast ftw.

Every MS of overhead, latency and jitter matters. Go wired. Ubnt nano switches are $40 a piece, and are made to be used outdoors. I even made passive Poe filters as to not burn my stuff up. Works great.

If you want/need wireless, go komby stack. That guy is a saint in my eyes for the O/S wireless blinky gem of a arduino hw/sw platform he created (with help from others for rfcolor and whatnot), and no one seems to see the value or limitless extensibility of it. My whole Halloween show for example runs wireless rgb floods and wireless fog machines with my own custom hw based on his stuff, all driven thru vixen (or xlights or whatever you want that spews e1.31)

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

8. Thanks FishKing thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

You can do it, and it can perform well. But it's not exactly plug and play. This is on the advanced side of the blinky world.

As Martin mentioned, you'd need a WiFi media adapter, or an AP in station mode to connect to the non-wireless controller. That will effectively give it a wireless radio. Then you're dealing with sACN over WiFi. As many people who have used ESPixelSticks/Pops/etc have learned, your average WiFi setup isn't going to cut it as is. You need to handle it as a special purpose-built network and really know what you're doing. THis page attempts to explain the finer points. https://www.diychristmas.org/wiki/in..._ACN_over_WiFi

But the bottom line is that it can work, and can work very well on a well tuned network.

10. Thanks FishKing thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I am not sure I would say that any show using WiFi will be a "crap" show and I can see the attractiveness of WiFi over the Kombee setup. Many people use WiFi with great success and others have significant issues. Using WiFi with care can work very nicely up to a certain level. That "level" will be different for each environment and with creative tweaking, can drive a significant show. FYI: Most of my show is wired but I do have a few wireless elements in areas that make wired connections impractical.

2018 - Moving and going to visit my Daughter in New Zealand. Most likely I will be dark or nearly dark, Some static stuff that is simple to put up.

12. Thanks FishKing thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post
    I am not sure I would say that any show using WiFi will be a "crap" show and I can see the attractiveness of WiFi over the Kombee setup. Many people use WiFi with great success and others have significant issues. Using WiFi with care can work very nicely up to a certain level. That "level" will be different for each environment and with creative tweaking, can drive a significant show. FYI: Most of my show is wired but I do have a few wireless elements in areas that make wired connections impractical.
    And to take this a step further, you'll reach your saturation on a Komby setup before you will a WiFi setup. Komby is great stuff, but I outgrew it a few years back. I topped out at 6 universes in my display before I couldn't find enough spectrum for more. I've got 35 universes on WiFi now and a show that's very solid with very infrequent lag or jitter.

14. Thanks FishKing thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FishKing View Post
    Can I run a static connection from the Pi to the E682 and still run wireless on the Pi to access the Pi from my computer in the house?
    Yes, that's how I run mine using Unicast. I use FPP on the Pi and a separate network for the show data so it doesn't affect my home network.
    Ed
    Happily retired

16. Thanks FishKing thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ezellner View Post
    Yes, that's how I run mine using Unicast. I use FPP on the Pi and a separate network for the show data so it doesn't affect my home network.
    Early on when I first got into pixels I had problems with multicast because the computer running the sequence was also used for internet surfing. My lights wouldn't function according to my sequence. Davis Pitts logged in through Teamviewer and had me change to Unicast and everything has been great since. I now want to move to the Pi to run my shows so I can eliminate the computer in the house. After reading the posts here, I figure what I'll do is run the Pi and controllers outside and keep an empty port on my hub to be able to plug in a network cable to be able to power down the Pi from my indoor computer when I need to.

Any thoughts on this?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast