Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Network issues

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Network issues

I don't have the Ubiquiti tab and I'm on the latest firmware for the Pico2, XS2.ar2316.v4.0.4.5074.150724.1340

[EDIT]
    Got it working. Not sure what it was. I think maybe I didn't have the gateway IP address set right in the ESPixelStick. That was why my laptop could connect to Pico2 but why I then couldn't connect to the ESP (it had my ISP gateway set as gateway instead of FPP which is doing the routing).
    Last edited by kazanjig; 09-13-2019 at 10:52 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

PicoStation is on end-of-life status, and your firmware is from 2015.

I also run a PicoStation M2, and did some firmware research prior to end-of-life, and found a reference to use firmware XM.6.1.1xx. I have loaded and since upgraded to XM.6.1.18. That firmware ran my show last year. No problems

Doing research for you, I noticed there is a XM.6.2.0. I will load this this weekend

https://www.ui.com/download/airmax-m...-firmware-v618
    https://www.ui.com/download/airmax-m...-firmware-v620
    In Lights Therapy

Post Thanks / Like

Digging up my old thread -- again.

I was not getting the refresh I wanted with unicast so I switched everything over the multicast. Now only my first 8 of 92 universes go blinky fashy -- everything else just sits there. And I'm not able to access the Pi through my home network over its built in WiFi while a show is going. I'm at a complete loss. I'm starting to wonder if the Picostation 2 (note, not M2) is just too old and can't keep up. Here are my settings:

1Main.JPG
    2Wireless.JPG
    3Network.JPG
    4Advanced.JPG

I'm really at a loss and at my wit's end. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

[EDIT]: Aaaaand just like that, I'm a bozo. It would help if the multicast rate were above 1Mbps. Bumped it up to 54 and things are going better but it looks like I have WiFi signal degradation for my props that are further away from the Picostation.

Station MAC Signal, DBm Noise, DBm Tx Rate Rx Rate Idle (Sec) Comment
    80:7D:3A:6E:CA:F7 -48 -96 1M 1M 15
    2C:3A:E8:4D:79:AD -66 -96 1M 5M 0
    2C:3A:E8:4D:3E:2A -49 -96 54M 9M 0
    2C:3A:E8:4D:74:EF -38 -96 1M 1M 15
    80:7D:3A:6E:C7:29 -66 -96 1M 1M 15
    80:7D:3A:6E:C9:FD -67 -96 36M 9M 0
    2C:3A:E8:4D:34:98 -42 -96 54M 18M 0
    2C:3A:E8:4D:82:03 -50 -96 54M 6M 0
    2C:3A:E8:4D:B5:32 -39 -96 1M 1M 15
    2C:3A:E8:4D:79:C3 -44 -96 1M 2M 15
    DC:4F:22:0A:04:9F -45 -96 54M 9M 0
    2C:3A:E8:4D:BD:4B -55 -96 1M 2M 15
    2C:3A:E8:4D:BD:F9 -50 -96 54M 2M 0
    2C:3A:E8:4D:51:F0 -68 -96 1M 1M 0
    84:F3:EB:31:2C:0E -68 -96 1M 1M 0
    Last edited by kazanjig; 12-17-2019 at 12:54 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kazanjig View Post
    Digging up my old thread -- again.

I was not getting the refresh I wanted with unicast so I switched everything over the multicast. Now only my first 8 of 92 universes go blinky fashy -- everything else just sits there. And I'm not able to access the Pi through my home network over its built in WiFi while a show is going. I'm at a complete loss. I'm starting to wonder if the Picostation 2 (note, not M2) is just too old and can't keep up. Here are my settings:

1Main.JPG
    2Wireless.JPG
    3Network.JPG
    4Advanced.JPG

I'm really at a loss and at my wit's end. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

[EDIT]: Aaaaand just like that, I'm a bozo. It would help if the multicast rate were above 1Mbps. Bumped it up to 54 and things are going better (although the only part of my show I can test it on right now is the megatree as the timers shut everything else off).
    Probably a combination of things, but you have to understand something, multicast will basically drown the network if you have too many sources broadcasting it. Not to mention it is a fickle beast depending on the hardware. Some hardware that says it supports it does a terrible job or chokes when presented with multiple sources. The unicast really shouldn't be having a big difference in refresh rate to the multicast. There are exceptions to each of those statements, but if you have actually are running 92 universes, I think you need to swap out that picostation and get another router. At the very least, try a different router and see if there is a difference. I can't speak on the number of universes, but with that many, any network would be saturated. You may even need to split into two networks for future years if you don't have time this year. You say you weren't happy with the refresh rate on unicast? What kind of refresh rate do you consider acceptable with 92 universes of streaming e131? Or what refresh rate do you hit with multicast that is a noticeable difference? There is pros and cons to each method, but the volume of devices or data being served informs which one you have to choose, and that decides any limitations. Try downloading a free software called SACN VIEWER. Then launch it and run the multicast that only triggers 8 universes. Does it show data transfer on any universes beyond 8? Also, that software has oodles of cool diagnostic capabilities and totally free

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by XmasinVancouver View Post
    Probably a combination of things, but you have to understand something, multicast will basically drown the network if you have too many sources broadcasting it. Not to mention it is a fickle beast depending on the hardware. Some hardware that says it supports it does a terrible job or chokes when presented with multiple sources. The unicast really shouldn't be having a big difference in refresh rate to the multicast. There are exceptions to each of those statements, but if you have actually are running 92 universes, I think you need to swap out that picostation and get another router. At the very least, try a different router and see if there is a difference. I can't speak on the number of universes, but with that many, any network would be saturated. You may even need to split into two networks for future years if you don't have time this year. You say you weren't happy with the refresh rate on unicast? What kind of refresh rate do you consider acceptable with 92 universes of streaming e131? Or what refresh rate do you hit with multicast that is a noticeable difference? There is pros and cons to each method, but the volume of devices or data being served informs which one you have to choose, and that decides any limitations. Try downloading a free software called SACN VIEWER. Then launch it and run the multicast that only triggers 8 universes. Does it show data transfer on any universes beyond 8? Also, that software has oodles of cool diagnostic capabilities and totally free
    Thanks for the tip on SACN Viewer -- I'll give it a shot. Perhaps my issue stems from my universe configurations -- they're not nearly full as it's only ~14000 channels in all.

Universes.JPG

[EDIT]

I redid my universes to fill all except those for the megatree and got it down to 29. I'll have to set the start channels on my ESPixelSticks later on when the power times on. There will be a lot of unused channels but my understanding is xLights doesn't care about that.

Universes2.JPG

Does this look better?
    Last edited by kazanjig; 12-17-2019 at 08:41 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

WiFi bandwidth is a precious resource. When you send a universe that is mostly empty then you are wasting those resources.

2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post
    WiFi bandwidth is a precious resource. When you send a universe that is mostly empty then you are wasting those resources.
    Yes, I understand that now. I had it backwards, thinking that empty channels was bad and that it was best to spread the universes across each of the 4 available for each ESPixelStick. I'm optimistic that things will be better when I fire up the show tonight (although there's like a channel error or two that I'll need to sort out).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12