Thread: Network issues

Post Thanks / Like

Default Network issues

All,

It's four days before Christmas and I have no blinky-flashy. While this is my first year, I thought I'd have better success. Here's my setup:

RPi3 --> FPP --> Ubiquiti Edgerouter --> Ubiquiti Picostation M2 --> Dedicated lights WLAN --> 10 ESPixelSticks Multicast

I can connect to all the ESPixelSticks over the WLAN and run the built-in testing. Hooray!
    I can connect to lights from my laptop through XLights and run a pattern (albeit at a low frame rate for some reason). Hooray!

But as soon as I try using FPP to run a show or test the lights my lights WLAN basically blows up. The Pi becomes unresponsive. My laptop loses connection to the WLAN and when I try to reconnect I get a notification that my network password is incorrect.

It's almost like the WLAN is getting saturated and can't keep up. There's a noticeable delay between starting an effect in Xlights and seeing it display on the prop (and an even greater delay after turning off the output to the lights). I'm starting to wonder if the Picostation I got is a counterfeit or something -- the eBay seller I got it from was in China. But it works great under light load.

Totally at a loss -- and quite embarrassed in the neighborhood as I have nothing to show for the endless hours people have seen me outside putting things up.

Any help, suggestions, or moral support is greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by kazanjig; 12-21-2018 at 10:44 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Network issues

Quote Originally Posted by kazanjig View Post
    All,

It's four days before Christmas and I have no blinky-flashy. While this is my first year, I thought I'd have better success. Here's my setup:

RPi3 --> FPP --> Ubiquiti Edgerouter --> Ubiquiti Picostation M2 --> Dedicated lights WLAN --> 10 ESPixelSticks Multicast

I can connect to all the ESPixelSticks over the WLAN and run the built-in testing. Hooray!
    I can connect to lights from my laptop through XLights and run a pattern (albeit at a low frame rate for some reason). Hooray!

But as soon as I try using FPP to run a show or test the lights my lights WLAN basically blows up. The Pi becomes unresponsive. My laptop loses connection to the WLAN and when I try to reconnect I get a notification that my network password is incorrect.

It's almost like the WLAN is getting saturated and can't keep up. There's a noticeable delay between starting an effect in Xlights and seeing it display on the prop (and an even greater delay after turning off the output to the lights). I'm starting to wonder if the Picostation I got is a counterfeit or something -- the eBay seller I got it from was in China. But it works great under light load.

Totally at a loss -- and quite embarrassed in the neighborhood as I have nothing to show for the endless hours people have seen me outside putting things up.

Any help, suggestions, or moral support is greatly appreciated.
    Make sure you have multicast enhancement turned off on your picostation. I would also consider giving unicast a try. And, do one controller/prop at a time to see if you can isolate a problem.
    Keith

Post Thanks / Like

Also, you might consider simplifying the network. Make everything static IPs, remove the router, hardwire the nanostation to the Pi, and see if you have better network response.
    Keith

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to everyone that replied and PMed. Network latency is greatly improved. Switched to unicast and I'm able to send data from my laptop to the lights from xlights. Working on FPP now but things are looking promising.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kazanjig View Post
    Thanks to everyone that replied and PMed. Network latency is greatly improved. Switched to unicast and I'm able to send data from my laptop to the lights from xlights. Working on FPP now but things are looking promising.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Awesome. Glad you are getting things up and running!
    Keith