Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Network issues

Post Thanks / Like

Default Network issues

All,

It's four days before Christmas and I have no blinky-flashy. While this is my first year, I thought I'd have better success. Here's my setup:

RPi3 --> FPP --> Ubiquiti Edgerouter --> Ubiquiti Picostation M2 --> Dedicated lights WLAN --> 10 ESPixelSticks Multicast

I can connect to all the ESPixelSticks over the WLAN and run the built-in testing. Hooray!
    I can connect to lights from my laptop through XLights and run a pattern (albeit at a low frame rate for some reason). Hooray!

But as soon as I try using FPP to run a show or test the lights my lights WLAN basically blows up. The Pi becomes unresponsive. My laptop loses connection to the WLAN and when I try to reconnect I get a notification that my network password is incorrect.

It's almost like the WLAN is getting saturated and can't keep up. There's a noticeable delay between starting an effect in Xlights and seeing it display on the prop (and an even greater delay after turning off the output to the lights). I'm starting to wonder if the Picostation I got is a counterfeit or something -- the eBay seller I got it from was in China. But it works great under light load.

Totally at a loss -- and quite embarrassed in the neighborhood as I have nothing to show for the endless hours people have seen me outside putting things up.

Any help, suggestions, or moral support is greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by kazanjig; 12-21-2018 at 10:44 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Network issues

Quote Originally Posted by kazanjig View Post
    All,

It's four days before Christmas and I have no blinky-flashy. While this is my first year, I thought I'd have better success. Here's my setup:

RPi3 --> FPP --> Ubiquiti Edgerouter --> Ubiquiti Picostation M2 --> Dedicated lights WLAN --> 10 ESPixelSticks Multicast

I can connect to all the ESPixelSticks over the WLAN and run the built-in testing. Hooray!
    I can connect to lights from my laptop through XLights and run a pattern (albeit at a low frame rate for some reason). Hooray!

But as soon as I try using FPP to run a show or test the lights my lights WLAN basically blows up. The Pi becomes unresponsive. My laptop loses connection to the WLAN and when I try to reconnect I get a notification that my network password is incorrect.

It's almost like the WLAN is getting saturated and can't keep up. There's a noticeable delay between starting an effect in Xlights and seeing it display on the prop (and an even greater delay after turning off the output to the lights). I'm starting to wonder if the Picostation I got is a counterfeit or something -- the eBay seller I got it from was in China. But it works great under light load.

Totally at a loss -- and quite embarrassed in the neighborhood as I have nothing to show for the endless hours people have seen me outside putting things up.

Any help, suggestions, or moral support is greatly appreciated.
    Make sure you have multicast enhancement turned off on your picostation. I would also consider giving unicast a try. And, do one controller/prop at a time to see if you can isolate a problem.
    Keith

Post Thanks / Like

Also, you might consider simplifying the network. Make everything static IPs, remove the router, hardwire the nanostation to the Pi, and see if you have better network response.
    Keith

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to everyone that replied and PMed. Network latency is greatly improved. Switched to unicast and I'm able to send data from my laptop to the lights from xlights. Working on FPP now but things are looking promising.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kazanjig View Post
    Thanks to everyone that replied and PMed. Network latency is greatly improved. Switched to unicast and I'm able to send data from my laptop to the lights from xlights. Working on FPP now but things are looking promising.

Awesome. Glad you are getting things up and running!
    Keith

Post Thanks / Like

Digging up my old thread from last year. I ended up having to completely re-do my network (including resetting my UBNT PicoStation and assigning all new IP addresses as I forgot since last year and didn't make a network map. Now I'm having issues resetting the IP addresses on all my ESPixelSticks.

Home gateway 192.168.1.1 --> FPP 192.168.1.200/192.168.2.254 (static) --> UBNT Pico WAP 192.168.2.253 (static) --> ESPixelSticks 192.168.1-X

I have routing enabled on FPP and set up the routing table on my computer so I can access the WAP from my home network.

I can flash the ESPixelSticks onto my home network so they grab an IP via DHCP and then reconfigure them through the web interface with a static IP for the show network. But when I restart them I cannot access them (which is strange because I can get to the Pico which is in Bridge mode). I tried setting up the DHCP server on the Pico in Router mode and flashing them directly onto my show network -- no dice, they don't connect.

I'm sure there's a setting on the Pico that I'm forgetting about... Any help is greatly appreciated. Hey, at least it's still September!

Network Map.jpg
    Last edited by kazanjig; 09-13-2019 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Attached network map

Post Thanks / Like

Get yourself a cheap wireless router and set that up on your show network. Configure a separate Wireless network on it and you can use that to connect your PC to the show network to access everything, if your PC does not have a wireless NIC then get a cheap USB one. This will also give you the DHCP for the ESPs as you set them up. It will also show you the devices connected to the network so you will know if they are connecting to the Pico or not

THe Pico need to

1. Be in AP mode
    2. Only running 20 MHz channel width
    3. Network needs to be in Bridge mode
    4. AirMax needs to be disabled, Unchecked
    5. Enhanced Multicast also needs to be disabled, unchecked
    Matt

Post Thanks / Like

AirMax! I'm at work now but I bet that's it. I remember now that gave me issues last year. And thanks for the tips!

Post Thanks / Like

So now I'm really confused. The only AirMax setting I could find was in the Network tab only when set up as Station so I set AirMax Priority to "None". But I distinctly remember seeing a signal strength indicator last year on the Main page. And right now, when I click the Main page, I see the strength meter pop up for a split second. Something still isn't right. I feel like AirMax is still turned on but there's no setting anywhere. Plus, my laptop is able to connect to the Pico. airmax.JPG
    Last edited by kazanjig; 09-13-2019 at 10:18 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Its on the Ubiquity Tab, The 1st tab, I have the Nano station, but the Pico Station is the same

Capture.JPG
    Matt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast