Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Curious about show length and new songs

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Curious about show length and new songs

This is our fourth year of the display. We add a couple (1-3) songs each year except for second year, when added 5 songs. We try to keep the songs less than 3 minutes, sometimes cutting, sometimes speeding up (a little), sometimes both.

We now split the show into Program A, Program B, and Program AB. A & B both have 9-10 songs (plus 5 voice-overs), take about 23 or 24 minutes, and run on alternate weekday nights. The sequences are mostly different, but there are a few that are played both days. AB - as the name implies - is the combination of both programs with all songs and runs on weekends. It lasts about 40 minutes.

For us, ~20 minutes long seems ideal. Our viewers typically watch for a couple songs, but some do watch the entire show. There's usually a couple, maybe 3 cars out there on a regular basis. Many are our neighbors who will watch one song then continue with the errand they are running, and maybe watch another when they come back.

We have not yet taken songs out. There's one we are no longer happy, but it serves a vital purpose in the total show so it stays until we find and sequence another that can serve that purpose. When we get the three songs sequenced that are on our to-do list, we might go to Program A, B, and C, so split over three nights. Still combined for the weekend.

We do some limited updating to old sequences when we add new props. But we strive for a variety of styles across the songs and we found it too easy to just add the same treatment to all the old songs. So we limit ourselves.

This was something I did not appreciate when we started: you get locked into your layout pretty quickly. There's no law that says you can't rearrange things in the yard or on the house. But, you then HAVE to re-sequenced songs you've done before. To avoid that I used almost exactly the same profile as last year, only adding of filling in blank channels with new props as needed. So give some thought for future expansion when you do your layout now.

Jimboha
    Last edited by jimboha; 12-21-2018 at 01:28 AM.
    Springville, Utah

2. Likes TomL8345 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I don’t think I’ll ever be happy with the layout of my display which is a combo of pixels c9s incans leds and blowmolds. I’m constantly adding or moving props. The main part of my show rights now is an 850 pixel tree. I play 4 songs right now that are around 14 minutes. Before pixels I was running different shows on different nights shuffling about a dozen different songs.

Post Thanks / Like

First year of having a full display. 13 songs, 45 mins, looped. I am already thinking some songs will be tweaked or re-done for next yeat, and more songs will be added. I used full length songs.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the replies everyone! It's great to see all the different ways of approaching a show.
    Christmas 2018 Lights: https://youtu.be/pkcxuiiSdhc
    Halloween 2018 Lights: https://youtu.be/1FM4xhan_G4
    2018 Behind the Scenes: https://youtu.be/jGKUd9HzKGw

Other shows and behind the scenes:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg1...c85-wgbnkNiLOw

Post Thanks / Like

Had a 40 minute song list back in 2011, with full length songs.
    Over the years, traffic has picked up, and parking space didn't keep up.
    This year's "show" runs around 15 minutes with a couple of medleys. Some parts of the medleys are about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes each, giving a total of 4 - 4 1/2 minutes for each one. Two of the songs are full length, but that is because of their not being "right" being cut down.
    With "high impact" for those 15 minutes, people are texting, emailing and calling saying how much they enjoyed the show this year. Go figure.
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

This past year, I had 24 songs totaling 74+minutes. Each song is played 4 times a night but not in the same order for a total show of 5 hours. By mixing up the songs the program does not appear to repeat. I try to add at least one song each year and take out one song each year. I also like change the display a bit by adding new items or rearranging items.
    2 Grinchs, 2 Ren C's and a Ren T for 128 channels (in 2008)
    2 Ren64, 2 Ren24, 2 Ren24ss, 4 Ren16ss and 8 Ren8ss for 352 channels (currently)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12