Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tubing for arches in the UK

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Tubing for arches in the UK

Yes, the lights go inside (strip lights). The tube diffuses the light and makes a nice even glow.
    Ed
    Happily retired

Post Thanks / Like

These are roughly the same pipes I intend to use, though 40mm seems a bit too "fat" for me, so I decided to go with 32mm. Although I would have even preferred 1" if that would have been available.

Post Thanks / Like

This is a link to a test video using a ws2811 3-LED pixel strip in a 40mm tube from screwfix
    https://youtu.be/x6PsDrzO1sw

Its just a quick video showing the LEDs showing through the tube. Video is taken in the dark as it shows the tube in its best.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi
    How did you find it to bend into a arch ??? Also on the utube demo the lights are in blocks of colour, how is that done ?? Thank you all

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bwinter View Post
    I think it’s important to ensure that these tubes are water-proof (given how finicky the strips are even if they’re “waterproof”).

I use PEX tubing. Then got the corresponding end cap for the tube. I then drilled a hole through the end-cap that will accept an appropriate cable-gland (to pass the pigtail). This allowed me to apply the right amount of tension to the strips (to keep them secure and flat), and once the cable-glands are tightened, everything is waterproof.
    Hi You say you use PEX tubing can it be bent to a arch what size is it ? and do you have any pic,s showing thelights working ? and lastly where do you get it from? Sorry to ask so much but I relly want to make some arches.
    Martin

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tubing for arches in the UK

Here’s my show from last year;

https://youtu.be/C9rmmeIcAis

I just purchase 1” PEX at Home Depot or Lowe’s
    Last edited by Bwinter; 12-31-2018 at 02:04 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Have not tried bending the tubing yet. Was thinking paint stripper hot air gun and tie down strap to assist, but have not decided on size of arch or anything yet, that is for next year.

The colours are a 'color wheel' (note american spelling for google) that starts on a different pixel for each redraw then delay. Its a simple effect I have coded in my DMX pixel controller.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi
    Your show is very good it must have taken ages to do well thought out !!!!!

Re pex tube, I did some 18 months ago try to get some in the UK I think it was called "shark" when the company got it in I went down to see it. Yes it was easy to bend but it was a barrier pipe and one of barriers in the pipe was metal so I was told so light would never go though, so I would love to kown what you use ?? So I can try and track some down in the UK ??? Thank you
    Martin

Post Thanks / Like

PEX tube is also called Sharkbite tubing, so that may be what you heard.

There’s no metal component, so not sure about that though

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rodb View Post
    Have not tried bending the tubing yet. Was thinking paint stripper hot air gun and tie down strap to assist, but have not decided on size of arch or anything yet, that is for next year.

The colours are a 'color wheel' (note american spelling for google) that starts on a different pixel for each redraw then delay. Its a simple effect I have coded in my DMX pixel controller.
    For even bending, use the hot sand method (videos on YouTube) and a fixture. Hot air gun may not give you the smooth curve you are looking for.
    Ed
    Happily retired

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast