Thread: Is there a maximum number of channels

Post Thanks / Like

Default Is there a maximum number of channels

Hi, I have around 7000 pixels this year so I used 21000 channels. I am planning to scale up next year. I was just wondering is there any limits on channel I should be concerned about?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Is there a maximum number of channels

FPP 2.x is currently is hard limited to 1M channels. (1.x was limited to 500K) That said, it cannot read that many channels off the SD card or USB drive. Thus, to do 1M channels, you would need to use a Master/Slave setup. That said, I'm not sure what you would do with 1M channels on a single Pi anyway. Trying to send that much out via e1.31 likely wouldn't work even if you could get them off the SD card.

Starting with FPP 2.6, we're going to be supporting a compressed fseq file that can overcome the bandwidth limit on the card. We're also going to be creating on-the-fly sparse/optimized fseq files that are just the channels needed on that FPP device. Thus, we will likely be able to increase the limit in the future.
    Dan Kulp

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply Dan, I guess there is a pretty long way from 21T channels to 1 M :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dkulp View Post
    FPP 2.x is currently is hard limited to 1M channels. (1.x was limited to 500K) That said, it cannot read that many channels off the SD card or USB drive. Thus, to do 1M channels, you would need to use a Master/Slave setup. That said, I'm not sure what you would do with 1M channels on a single Pi anyway. Trying to send that much out via e1.31 likely wouldn't work even if you could get them off the SD card.

Starting with FPP 2.6, we're going to be supporting a compressed fseq file that can overcome the bandwidth limit on the card. We're also going to be creating on-the-fly sparse/optimized fseq files that are just the channels needed on that FPP device. Thus, we will likely be able to increase the limit in the future.
    Great, now I have to buy more lights!!