Thread: FM Transmitter On or Off

Post Thanks / Like

Default FM Transmitter On or Off

I have been doing a show sync'ed to music since 2009. I use an EDM RDS transmitter. My first transmitter died just after it went out of warranty in 2013. I am on my second EDM transmitter.

1. I was wondering if there were any recommendations for extending the life of the transmitter?
    2. Should I leave it powered on for the entire season or unplug it each night after the show?
    3. Does anyone know the average life of an EDM transmitter?

PS. I do have the second transmitter on power strip / surge suppressor where the first one was unprotected.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: FM Transmitter On or Off

I have an EDM and have used it for the last 6 years. I leave it on 24/7 when my show is playing. No issues.
    (1)Falcon PI Player (Running the show)
    (1) Falcon F16V3
    (1)Renard SS24
    (1)EDM-LCD-CS-EP
    (20)P10 Panels

WIKI
    Become A Supporting Member

Falcon Christmas

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JCB View Post
    I have been doing a show sync'ed to music since 2009. I use an EDM RDS transmitter. My first transmitter died just after it went out of warranty in 2013. I am on my second EDM transmitter.

1. I was wondering if there were any recommendations for extending the life of the transmitter?
    Make sure your antenna is tuned to the frequency you use.

Post Thanks / Like

Make sure your antenna is tuned to the frequency you use
    I would first figure out WHY the first one died.... sounds like SWR's might be off ?
    One of the tell-tale signs of too high of SWR's is if the unit ( transmitter ) gets HOT or VERY warm . If your antenna is tuned properly , the unit won't even get warmer than ambient temps

Post Thanks / Like

I leave mine plugged in all the time too.
    Considering how little we use these, that failure is very unacceptable. They should have fixed it for you.
    Given the very low power nature of these units, I don't think an unmatched antenna would kill the output transistor on that unit.
    I would also check the voltage on your power supply.
    What did you do with the dead EDM?

Post Thanks / Like

Not trying to step on toes here....

I don't think an unmatched antenna would kill the output transistor on that unit
    High SWR's usually means that the antenna is not properly tuned to the freq that is being used which boils down to the antenna having capacitive and or inductive reactance which is basically detuning the final(s) . ( effecting final amplifiers - no matter how large or small . ) A detuned final will draw too much current and will eventually burn up ( first getting warm , then hot , causing the unit not to work.