Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FM Transmitter On or Off

Post Thanks / Like

Default FM Transmitter On or Off

I have been doing a show sync'ed to music since 2009. I use an EDM RDS transmitter. My first transmitter died just after it went out of warranty in 2013. I am on my second EDM transmitter.

1. I was wondering if there were any recommendations for extending the life of the transmitter?
    2. Should I leave it powered on for the entire season or unplug it each night after the show?
    3. Does anyone know the average life of an EDM transmitter?

PS. I do have the second transmitter on power strip / surge suppressor where the first one was unprotected.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: FM Transmitter On or Off

I have an EDM and have used it for the last 6 years. I leave it on 24/7 when my show is playing. No issues.
    (1)Falcon PI Player (Running the show)
    (1)Falcon F16V3
    (1)Renard SS16
    (1)Renard SS24
    (1)EDM-LCD-CS-EP
    (20)P10 Panels

WIKI
    Become A Supporting Member

Falcon Christmas
    Renard Controllers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JCB View Post
    I have been doing a show sync'ed to music since 2009. I use an EDM RDS transmitter. My first transmitter died just after it went out of warranty in 2013. I am on my second EDM transmitter.

1. I was wondering if there were any recommendations for extending the life of the transmitter?
    Make sure your antenna is tuned to the frequency you use.

Post Thanks / Like

Make sure your antenna is tuned to the frequency you use
    I would first figure out WHY the first one died.... sounds like SWR's might be off ?
    One of the tell-tale signs of too high of SWR's is if the unit ( transmitter ) gets HOT or VERY warm . If your antenna is tuned properly , the unit won't even get warmer than ambient temps

Post Thanks / Like

I leave mine plugged in all the time too.
    Considering how little we use these, that failure is very unacceptable. They should have fixed it for you.
    Given the very low power nature of these units, I don't think an unmatched antenna would kill the output transistor on that unit.
    I would also check the voltage on your power supply.
    What did you do with the dead EDM?

Post Thanks / Like

Not trying to step on toes here....

I don't think an unmatched antenna would kill the output transistor on that unit
    High SWR's usually means that the antenna is not properly tuned to the freq that is being used which boils down to the antenna having capacitive and or inductive reactance which is basically detuning the final(s) . ( effecting final amplifiers - no matter how large or small . ) A detuned final will draw too much current and will eventually burn up ( first getting warm , then hot , causing the unit not to work.

Post Thanks / Like

HI:
    Electronics are Electronics and as such are unpredictable. Any device can fail at any time due to any number of conditions. Even though the manufacturers run extended life expectancy tests, they are only that and even though they will show a MTBF (Mean Time Before Failure), any electronic component can fail at any time.

I do not leave my FM transmitter on all the time. There are several reasons, but the main one is not attract too much attention to an unlicensed "station".
    A "dead" carrier can and may attract the attention of the "Men in Black"! Especially if someone in the neighborhood complains. My xmtr is on a timer, as is all of my system. I see no use or value in consuming power if the system is not in service.

My FM02 has run for years, has very good range (actually too much) and performs flawlessly throughout the season.

JACKFROST2 is right and high SWR can cause the output transistor to fail. His comments and ideas are right on.

There are many entries in Radio Waves forum concerning SWR, Antennas and other subjects relative to your post.

You may just be spinning your wheels in trying to find the cause of the failure, but I would follow his suggestions concerning SWR and antennas and those posts concerning power supply, etc.

Good Luck--Unless you have some good test equipment, you will likely not find the cause of the failure.

Idun
    [B][I][U]Idun[/U][/I][/B]

[IMG]http://www.vixenlights.com/sig/sig_h.php/152/136.gif[/IMG]

[B]Lotsa' Patience![/B] (Some days you can't win, the others you lose, and forget about the rest)

[B]Some mornings I wake up GRUMPY and other days I let her sleep![/B]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IdunBenhad View Post
    I do not leave my FM transmitter on all the time. There are several reasons, but the main one is not attract too much attention to an unlicensed "station".
    A "dead" carrier can and may attract the attention of the "Men in Black"! Especially if someone in the neighborhood complains. My xmtr is on a timer, as is all of my system. I see no use or value in consuming power if the system is not in service.
    I agree 100%

Post Thanks / Like

We have our transmitter (Ramsey) plugged into a simple timer. At 4PM it comes on. At 11PM it goes off. We do this to not have "dead air" during the non-show times. It has been working since 2011 without incident.

And it is very true that you should find out why it died, if it is still possible. The transmitter/antenna matching is not only good for longevity of the transmitter, but also for the clarity of your signal to all those receivers out there.
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not really sure if it helps things or not but I just got into the habit of turning it on/off. In 3 years I have only missed 1 night and it was for an hour, where I was running errands and forgot to turn it on before I left.
    I do leave my show computer running 24/7 though.
    2016 - 32 LOR Channels - Roughly 5,000 Lights - 2 Sequenced Songs
    2017 - 64 LOR Channels - 9,373 Lights - 4 Sequenced Songs
    2018 - 64 LOR Channels - New House - Total Redesign - 9,011 Lights - 5 Sequenced Songs (Interactive)
    2019 - 80 LOR Channels - Expecting 15,000+ Lights - 6-8 Sequences Songs (Interactive)

Ridgewood Lights - Facebook Page
    Ridgewood Lights - YouTube Video

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast