Thread: Want to know what kind of LED Lights I just saw...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Want to know what kind of LED Lights I just saw...

So we were riding around looking at lights a few nights ago and off in the distance was a house with tons of lights. What stood out were these lights that appeared to shoot into the air with the appearance of fireworks taking flight - not exploding, just shooting into the air.

Does anyone know what they might be, are they available to buy or does it sound like this is custom work?

Any info, pics, links appreciated! They would be great for a 4th of July display.

Thanks!!
    Last edited by Superfreak3; 12-17-2018 at 02:24 PM.
    As always, Thanks for any info!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Want to know what kind of LED Lights I just saw...

Picts/video?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bwinter View Post
    Picts/video?
    Unfortunately, no and its a fair distance from my home. I'm thinking it just might be a pixel strip of some sort. I'm no pixel expert as my display is still all minis.

Post Thanks / Like

Without knowing more, my first guess would be pixels of some sort (strip or string). With a custom DIY build, they can be arranged in any shape desired. Software would control the effects. It would not be difficult to put an "explosion" at the top.

The biggest visual effect difference between minis and pixels is that every pixel is individually controlled for color and brightness while a string of minis are a fixed color (or set of colors) and all are at the same brightness.

Post Thanks / Like

I've put pixel strips up 10m fibreglass flagpoles before - can create some great effects with them and they can be seen a long way away!

Post Thanks / Like

I know about the differences, I just meant I've never taken the plunge to pixels, alternate controllers, etc.

So lets say I wanted to make, let's say, 6 10-15 ft straight strips to create the effect I saw. What kind of price range are we looking for the pixel strips/controllers/etc? Do newer versions of Vixen support pixel control or some other software?

I used to visit the sight frequently, but since I've settled on my current layout for several years, I've failed to keep up.

I've stumbled upon this and wonder if it is a good reference or if there are other good articles/blogs out there... http://www.brianhensley.net/2017/10/...ls-part-1.html

This too... http://blog.holidaycoro.com/2013/04/...gb-lights.html
    Last edited by Superfreak3; 12-19-2018 at 11:24 AM.