Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Want to know what kind of LED Lights I just saw...

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Want to know what kind of LED Lights I just saw...

These sections are not going to be attached to the house per se. They are just going to be used as some accent pieces in the yard or maybe against the house, etc. I would need a straight piece of rigid material to affix the pixels to, but I guess that's a minor detail since I'm just starting out.

I need to know what smart pixels to by, what controller I need, what software should I use for sequences and does that software work in conjunction with Vixen, etc. I should say that I am currently using an older version of Vixen (2.1, I think).

So, I'm at the ground floor of this project so any info appreciated.

I've seen mention of buying from Ray Wu once I figure out what I need.

I guess before purchasing any strings of pixels, I need to decide on the spacing. I don't know if I'm going to stay with the 10 ft sections or reduce to 8 ft, but I'm wondering about the typical pixel spacing used.
    As always, Thanks for any info!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Superfreak3 View Post
    These sections are not going to be attached to the house per se. They are just going to be used as some accent pieces in the yard or maybe against the house, etc. I would need a straight piece of rigid material to affix the pixels to, but I guess that's a minor detail since I'm just starting out.

I need to know what smart pixels to by, what controller I need, what software should I use for sequences and does that software work in conjunction with Vixen, etc. I should say that I am currently using an older version of Vixen (2.1, I think).

So, I'm at the ground floor of this project so any info appreciated.

I've seen mention of buying from Ray Wu once I figure out what I need.

I guess before purchasing any strings of pixels, I need to decide on the spacing. I don't know if I'm going to stay with the 10 ft sections or reduce to 8 ft, but I'm wondering about the typical pixel spacing used.
    vixen is a software program that will sequence pixels and work with the controllers on the market the older vixen 2 is a little more work than the new versions of the software that is out now for sequencing a show
    James WinterHaven Fl

Post Thanks / Like

It would be cool if I could use my old sequences with the current LED strings/layout I use. I guess my first step, like I said is to decide on the length of these 4 sections I want to use and the pixel spacing that will look best. I don't want them to look too sparse.

I'm going to use these as accents and a small special effect around my display. I might configure them like XX or //// or \/\/ or /\/\ or \\\\, you get the idea.

Regardless, I'm thinking it won't be a ton of pixels and should only require a small-ish controller. Then I have to decide on 5V vs 12V. I'm guessing 12V as I've seen videos and read about the more frequent need for power injection using the 5V variety. I'm not sure this choice will make much of a difference as pixels will play such a small part in my display (at least initially and depending on how this adventure plays out).

Post Thanks / Like

the new vixen 3 can import your old sequences just have to setup the new vixen with the elements you have in the old version and what ever else you are adding and then you can map the old stuff to the new version
    James WinterHaven Fl

Post Thanks / Like

That sounds great! I was going to start to scale down my already small display to just the good old static lighting. Not sure why I want to delve into Pixels at this point, but I'd like to try. It seems like a lot though. I just don't want to buy the wrong thing or not buy a piece that is needed.

The only thing I know at this point is I want to use smart pixels and I think I'll go with 8 ft segments to start, unless using 10 is easier (pixel strings come in 10ft lengths instead of 8).

Post Thanks / Like

So, lets say I go with 8' sections and I buy 4 of these... http://www.diyledexpress.com/index.p...roducts_id=267 .

Where do I go from there. What do I need with regard to power supply(ies) and controller to run all four sections? The linked string is 12v and I wonder with such a small amount, could I use the 5v or is that going to pose power issues?

Do I need a Raspberry Pi to run things or is my computer OK to control the sequences?

I'm not sure if the supplier I linked or Ray Wu would be cheaper.

Would something like this work for a controller... http://www.holidaycoro.com/4-Output-...bled-p/831.htm
    Last edited by Superfreak3; 01-23-2019 at 11:33 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

That sounds great! I was going to start to scale down my already small display to just the good old static lighting. Not sure why I want to delve into Pixels at this point, but I'd like to try. It seems like a lot though. I just don't want to buy the wrong thing or not buy a piece that is needed.

The only thing I know at this point is I want to use smart pixels and I think I'll go with 8 ft segments to start, unless using 10 is easier (pixel strings come in 10ft lengths instead of 8).
    pick up an espixel stick to drive the pixels. strips are 15 usd each. bullets are more resilient. Vixen 3 will do what you need.

2019 - Going to visit my Daughter in New Zealand (again). I will be dark for the 2nd year in a row. Sigh..

Post Thanks / Like

So, lets say I go with 8' sections and I buy 4 of these... http://www.diyledexpress.com/index.p...roducts_id=267 .

Where do I go from there. What do I need with regard to power supply(ies) and controller to run all four sections? The linked string is 12v and I wonder with such a small amount, could I use the 5v or is that going to pose power issues?

Do I need a Raspberry Pi to run things or is my computer OK to control the sequences?

I'm not sure if the supplier I linked or Ray Wu would be cheaper.

Would something like this work for a controller... http://www.holidaycoro.com/4-Output-...bled-p/831.htm
    I've only been doing this for a few years but I can pass along what I've learned.
    Year one I ran my show from Vixen running on a desktop. Worked fine but I had to run a couple of cables thru the wall to carry sound outside and data to the controllers. I could still use the computer for other tasks, but was limited. Try to watch a video during the show and the sound would have carried out to the show.
    Year two I acquired a Raspberry Pi. The Pi is outdoors so no cables through the wall. There is an extra step in building the sequence in Vixen then exporting to FSEQ for the Pi, but it's no big deal. Biggest improvement is that I got back full control of my desktop by investing about $50 for the Pi, USB sound dongle, PS, mini amp and enclosure.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. I'm not too concerned with using the computer that would be controlling the show, but wouldn't be opposed to incorporating the Pi either. I'm just trying to figure out the order of steps I should take and what I should buy to get this small scale operation off the ground.

I too currently have a network cable and other power cords running from the basement outside so that wouldn't be a big deal for me either.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post
    pick up an espixel stick to drive the pixels. strips are 15 usd each. bullets are more resilient. Vixen 3 will do what you need.
    I'm not sure I want to go the wireless route right away. I don't mind running network cables to the controllers, at least to start. Once I get more sophisticated I might go wireless.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12