Thread: Could I install a “Start Button”

Post Thanks / Like

Default Could I install a “Start Button”

Not sure if this is where to put this question but...

Would it be possible to make a “Start Button”?

I was thinking it might be cool to have a button that people could press to start a light show. Like have it out front on a post with a “PRESS HERE” sign then press it and the light show starts.

If this is possible how hard would it be?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Could I install a “Start Button”

Yes...you can have a start button . ...

Post Thanks / Like

GPIO Input pin on your Pi, to trigger an event (I.e. start-sequence)

Post Thanks / Like

What controller (s) are you using

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jackfrost2 View Post
    What controller (s) are you using
    I’m using an Arduino Mega and FPP installed on a Pi Zero W

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, you can do this. In your FPP you need to configure an input to trigger an "event".

1-You will need to wire a push button to the GPIO, just google it, plenty of info out there on that. You will need a button and a resistor to do this. If you look in input set up on FPP it will show you the pins to connect to on GPIO.

2-Next create a playlist to play the sequence you want after an input. (No Spaces in playlist name!)

3-Then download a script from the script repository to trigger that playlist, (Seq_Start?") you will have to download the script, read the instructions and add in the name of the playlist you want to trigger. Give it a new name and save as a ".sh" file and upload back to the FPP.

4-Now create an "event" to execute that script, give it a name to make it easy to find.

5-Then go to inputs, select the input you wired the push button to and select the event you created.

6-Reboot the FPP and give it a try

I have 1 right now in a public park, it is a Full size Santa sleigh with reindeer and has 10 push buttons on the dashboard to change the sequences playing. The kids love it, only issue with this set up is if they start pounding on the buttons it sometimes hangs it up, just trying to rapidly change the events and sequences can hose it up occasionally. Just working out a new script to fix this now so it delays accepting another input once it starts from an input.
    Last edited by Electrified3; 12-19-2018 at 10:33 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Electrified3 View Post
    Yes, you can do this. In your FPP you need to configure an input to trigger an "event".

1-You will need to wire a push button to the GPIO, just google it, plenty of info out there on that. You will need a button and a resistor to do this. If you look in input set up on FPP it will show you the pins to connect to on GPIO.

2-Next create a playlist to play the sequence you want after an input. (No Spaces in playlist name!)

3-Then download a script from the script repository to trigger that playlist, (Seq_Start?") you will have to download the script, read the instructions and add in the name of the playlist you want to trigger. Give it a new name and save as a ".sh" file and upload back to the FPP.

4-Now create an "event" to execute that script, give it a name to make it easy to find.

5-Then go to inputs, select the input you wired the push button to and select the event you created.

6-Reboot the FPP and give it a try

I have 1 right now in a public park, it is a Full size Santa sleigh with reindeer and has 10 push buttons on the dashboard to change the sequences playing. The kids love it, only issue with this set up is if they start pounding on the buttons it sometimes hangs it up, just trying to rapidly change the events and sequences can hose it up occasionally. Just working out a new script to fix this now so it delays accepting another input once it starts from an input.
    Wow thank you so much! This is probably going to be an “ if I have time” add on but it would be a cool feature!