Thread: Can you install FPP on a Pi Zero W without another Raspberry Pi?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Can you install FPP on a Pi Zero W without another Raspberry Pi?

The last piece of the puzzle for me is getting FPP installed on something.

Here is what I have in hand:

Raspberry Pi Zero W
    Desktop PC that currently have Raspian and Windows 7 (on separate hard drives)
    16 GB microSD

Here is what I don’t have:

an older Raspberry Pi
    A USB to Ethernet dongle

Also I am short on time so I probably won’t have time to order anything online. I might be able to purchase something at a store if it’s cheap enough.

Here are some of the questions that I haven’t found answers to yet:

1. Is it possible to install FPP on a Pi Zero W without another Raspberry Pi or a USB to Ethernet dongle?

2. Is it possible to install FPP on to a desktop? (I have a spare hardrive if I need it)

3. Can I install FPP directly from Raspbian either on my Pi Zero or Desktop?

4. If FPP is not possible is there any other scheduling software that I can use that sequence video to a monitor (monitor will be decorated to look like a picture frame)?

Also, I’m using Vixen to sequence.

Thanks in advanced! This is a fantastic group and you guys have helped me so much!

-Greg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Can you install FPP on a Pi Zero W without another Raspberry Pi?

I’m pretty sure you can (haven’t tried it myself):

Etch the current FPP build onto your uSD card (per normal instructions), and put it in the ZeroW and fire it up.

Wait several minutes.

Connect to the ZeroW using “tethering” mode (connect to “FPP”, password “Christmas”).

Do your network config through tethering mode.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bwinter View Post
    I’m pretty sure you can (haven’t tried it myself):

Etch the current FPP build onto your uSD card (per normal instructions), and put it in the ZeroW and fire it up.

Wait several minutes.

Connect to the ZeroW using “tethering” mode (connect to “FPP”, password “Christmas”).

Do your network config through tethering mode.
    How do I set up tethering? I haven’t done that before?

Post Thanks / Like

FPP automatically goes into tethering mode when there is no other connection (wired or wireless)—so nothing you need to do to set-up.

Connect your WiFi to “FPP” and password “Christmas”

Then sniff out the IP address (I can’t remember what its default is), and enter that IP into your browser and do network config.

Post Thanks / Like

I believe the pi zero comes up at 192.168.0.1
    Jim Nealand
    Kennesaw, Ga

Post Thanks / Like

So I have been able to get FPP working on my Pi Zero W by inputting my WiFi info in the “interface.wlan0” file through “sudo nano”. But after I play with it and I think it’s good to go when I come back to it I can long into fpp.local and I have to input my WiFi info again. I’m wondering if the power cord I’m using is bad? But shouldn’t it still save the WiFi info anyway?