Thread: Can I use DEI 451 relays for Christmas lighting with music with an Arduino Mega 2560?

Post Thanks / Like

Question Can I use DEI 451 relays for Christmas lighting with music with an Arduino Mega 2560?

Hello to all,

Thank you for a great forum and site. Tons of information here.

However, I have not found anything about using DEI 451m relays for switching different channels on and off. I was able to get 12 of these for $20 for another project and ended up only using 1 relay so I have 11 available and thought, it's a relay so how can I use them in my Christmas display project?

I have an arduino mega 2560 and tons of Christmas lights. I am wanting to create a simple yet better than the off the shelf expensive units out there. I am good at soldering and doing this kind of stuff, just do not know if these will work or not.

I look forward to hearing back from any who can help.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Can I use DEI 451 relays for Christmas lighting with music with an Arduino Mega 2

Generally speaking, mechanical relays aren't a good choice for syncing lights to music due to the high cycle rate required. In other words, a synchronized show is going to turn those relays on and off hundreds or thousands of times per night. Mechanical relays just aren't designed for that kind of duty. They're likely to fail in a matter of days, or a few weeks at best. This is why most light controller designs use SSRs (triac based) for AC light control. There's no mechanical parts to wear or break, and they're much faster to respond.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Can I use DEI 451 relays for Christmas lighting with music with an Arduino Mega 2

I think that you would be better off purchasing some SSR modules from Sainsmart or to build your own.
    Kevin

2017 - Pi3 w/FPP controlling 8 ESPixelsticks driving 1250pixels and 3 Arduino MEGAS communicating with ESP-01s driving 96 channels
    2016 - 184 channels of Blinking/Flashing using 4 Arduino MEGAs and cheap home-made props.