Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Injected pixels instantly light up bright white when plugged in with pc power supply

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Injected pixels instantly light up bright white when plugged in with pc power sup

Hi, @ MartinMuller2003.
    The data line is regenerated at every pixel and is "With Respect to" the ground at the pixel generating the data.
    You are correct. If I may offer another variable to consider, given that the pixels use PWM to control the light output of the LEDs the load on V+ and ground can vary significantly when viewed momentarily and the load can be specific to a particular part of a string dependant to the sequence. This can be even more complicated by differences in the specific light output of each pixel and the PWM that it runs in comparison to its neighbours.

Most faults with regard to injection manifest in pixels working when in test – red then blue then green works and white fails. The follow up to that is to add injection and this mostly cures the problem but if the injection is boarder line this can still result in random spot errors when the PWM of a group of pixels combines to load and unload the power lines as data is being passed.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Injected pixels instantly light up bright white when plugged in with pc power sup

Thanks. The Permutations are almost endless. The final hint though is: Make sure you have clean and plentiful power. Make sure your data is clean. After that failures are caused by broken pixels.

2018 - Moving and going to visit my Daughter in New Zealand. Most likely I will be dark or nearly dark, Some static stuff that is simple to put up.

Post Thanks / Like

Make sure you have clean and plentiful power. Make sure your data is clean. After that failures are caused by broken pixels.
    Hi, good advice.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post
    Thanks. The Permutations are almost endless. The final hint though is: Make sure you have clean and plentiful power. Make sure your data is clean. After that failures are caused by broken pixels.

Thank you for the info. The pc power supply wasn't a first choice, but one out of necessity when I realized it was a gong show trying to run injection from the other meanwell supplies. But, from what I've read, these pc supplies are great for many things specifically because they supposedly have a very clean and stable output seeing as they normally power mission critical pc functions and data. The data probe to find a dead pixel is a great Idea, but how would I go about testing if my data is clean or corrupted? Is there some kind of reader or trick to use?

Post Thanks / Like

Sequence errors is one sign of data issues whether it is visual on the pixels or
    error counts visible in the controller's config .

I have read some here post about noise- even ringing and reflections on the data line , but you need to have extremely
    large ears to hear it and one heck of a humongous mirror to see the reflections .

Seriously though , without a logic probe or a scope you are limited in doing any technical data quality testing .

Post Thanks / Like

process of elimination. Assuming you have clean power:

If some lights work fine and the rest flicker: You have a bad pixel. Replace the last good and first bad pixels (I always do both. 50/50 chance if you replace only one. Murphy makes sure those odds are 100% wrong choice).

If the very first pixel in the string is flickering (and the rest are as well), Plug a string directly into the controller. If it does not flicker then you may have a run too long issue or the first pixel in your string has gone bad.

Take your pixels and plug them in as close as possible to each other (or into a known working controller). If the lights work then you need to place a null pixel or driver in the longer run. If they still flicker then you have a bad first pixel.

2018 - Moving and going to visit my Daughter in New Zealand. Most likely I will be dark or nearly dark, Some static stuff that is simple to put up.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123