Thread: Mega tree hoop

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mega tree hoop

Has anyone built a hoop out of steel pipe? I知 looking around at trampoline frames but I知 having trouble finding anything in the 6-7 foot diameter range. Ideally I壇 like to secure the hoop to an ASAP pole using cross bars and not have any supports/tie downs attached to the ground from the hoop. The ASAP pole would be the only contact with the ground. Has anyone attempted this? Also, anyone know a shop that might make one? I知 not a welder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Mega tree hoop

You can bend EMT pipe to that diameter with a Pipe Bender (from HD, Lowes). I have bent 1" EMT in to a 10' radius with little problem. Go slow, bending at approx 5-6" increments until you get the size you want. (I started with a line drawn on my shop floor to match up to).

Post Thanks / Like

Ok. That seems doable. I知 hoping I can then find hardware to connect to the pole. Maybe chain link fence or trampoline hardware. I壇 like to make 4 crossbars that join to the pole like a big 店.

Post Thanks / Like

It is not advisable to attach the hoop solely to the ASAP pole if the ASAP is mounted in a Portable Hole . The wind can set up a momentum [rocking motion] and the pole threads can break off in the coupling of the Portable Hole . I know of one instance where this has happened before .

Post Thanks / Like

I used the hoop bender for my 6 ft. hoop http://www.buildmyowngreenhouse.com/...r-1-1-1-1.aspx

Post Thanks / Like

You can get a premade square tube hoop made of steel. I got two from a used cable reel used by telecom companies. They come in 6' and 8' sizes. Just contact any company that lays cable. I found mine at a local park, asked, and they were happy not to have to dispose of it themselves. It has the added bonus of being heavier, I just cut out all the spokes and added 2 pieces of emt to center a closet flange around the pole, the weight pulls the strings tight. I did add a couple of bungies to anchors in the ground to pull the strings tight. My strings hardly droop at all.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by aknflyer; 12-08-2018 at 02:20 AM. Reason: added pic

Post Thanks / Like

Mine is made out of chain link fence post material. I took it to a muffler shop and had them bend the radius for me. My tree is about 15' tall, about a 6' diameter radius. I use the boscoyo strips and zip tie them to the bottom of the frame.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the great ideas everyone and Walter for the heads up on anchoring the tree. Lots to think about but luckily I have 11 months to make it happen!