Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vixen is down and i have no show - Please Help!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Vixen is down and i have no show - Please Help!

I have checked my cables and the tester says they're good. I even took a laptop out to the device and did a direct connect to eliminate cable issues and I still get nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

So I ran down to Staples and picked up one of these in an effort to try a new adapter altogether. Unfortunately, I can't find anyone in Denver who has a USB>RS485 adapter so this was all I could find. I have tried installing this on both the existing AND new computers with no luck.

https://www.staples.com/Staples-1-US...roduct_2093905

What I can't understand is why NONE of my controllers will work with either computer or adapters. BTW - The new computer has a fresh Vixen install only, I didn't transfer any files from the existing computer for fear of corrupting my test results.

Post Thanks / Like

Javo,
    It says it right there in the first line, you got the thread exit error. Honestly I have no idea what any of that means but I am sure these guys will get you squared away asap.

I feel your frustration. I have been there myself.

Not to worry. Your lights will blink again.
    Thanks,
    Brian, your friendly site Admin.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Macrosill View Post
    Javo,
    It says it right there in the first line, you got the thread exit error. Honestly I have no idea what any of that means but I am sure these guys will get you squared away asap.

I feel your frustration. I have been there myself.

Not to worry. Your lights will blink again.
    I have no idea what any of it means either but I hope I can find a solution. I'm worried.

Post Thanks / Like

I should also mention I tried replacing the ModuleStore and SystemConfig files with no luck either so I put the originals back in the folder. Not sure if that may have affected these errors in the log.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jchuchla View Post
    I bet that's the case. If it is, you'll want to see if other applications can open the com port. For the sake of testing the com port, it doesn't really matter what the data is. You could try a terminal program like putty and see if it can open the port. If it can, you should be able to type into the terminal and observe blinking lights on the data light on the dongle. If you can't get that to work, then you need to be looking at windows and driver issues.
    Thank you, I'm still trying everything I can possibly think of to get my show up and running. I think you helped me one other time I had an issue and you had me either replace or delete some files somewhere in Vixen. I have tried to find your instructions and can't find them anywhere, can you possibly tell me what that was? I seem to remember it helped fix another weird issue I was having.

Post Thanks / Like

According to that error log, there was an IO error writing data to the serial port. That error was generated downstream from the Vixen code in the underlying subsystem. Assuming your port settings are all correct, in my experience that generally means there is a driver or hardware issue of some kind. I am not sure what kind of devices you are using, but I think my next step would be to try and purge the drivers for those dongles and then introduce them back one at a time starting with the original one that was working and not pulled out of the machine. Something is likely corrupting or conflicting with the driver.

Post Thanks / Like

I may have missed this somewhere but did you check the baud rate in device manager and Vixen to be sure it matches your Renard controllers?

Post Thanks / Like

Before you go chasing down the wrong path, a wrong baud rate won't cause an error on the software side. The renard controllers certainly won't work with the wrong baud rate set, but Vixen and windows would be oblivious to that. Renard outputs (and all of the others for that matter) are one way data protocols. They just blindly send data and have no idea what the controllers are doing, or even if they're connected at all.

Given the specific error you posted, the only things that could cause the problem you're seeing is a hardware problem, a driver problem, or some sort of competition for the device from some other software.

10. Likes TazChaLet liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe try going to a different renard controller 2 years ago a mega tree fell over and broke one of the ethernet plugs on the board. it was an easy fix but a still sucked.
    I live Bismarck ND
    2011-2012 - small corner lot used a modified Mr. Christmas 6 channels did the job and got me hooked.
    2013 - Moved to new house with 2 acres, small show but all I had time for.
    2014 Built first renard controller so I have 1 renard 24hc, 1 Modified Mr. Christmas 6 channels none dimmable.
    I Also did a static show by the road. so 2 Christmas displays --- Lots of lights.
    2015 - working but so far I have purchased 6 renard ss16, going to retire the Mr. Christmas so all channels dim.
    now I will have 120 channels add 2 more renard 24, tis is going to be a crazy year.

Ladies and Gentlemen "I LOVE CHRISTMAS LIGHTS" yes would yell that from the roof tops.

12. Likes Ruppro liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast