Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vixen is down and i have no show - Please Help!

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Vixen is down and i have no show - Please Help!

I really need some help to get my show up and going again. Yesterday I was doing some work and accidentally caught the cat5 line that goes to my usb>rs485 adapter on my computer. Naturally the adapter got ripped out of the socket. So I shut down Vixen and then the computer, put the adapter back into the same slot and turned everything back on. Now I get no output from Vixen to my lights!

Interesting enough, Vixen will output to my PX1's that use another usb>rs485 adapter but will not output to my "normal" lights. This led me to believe I may have damaged the adapter. No problem, I changed it out for a spare - still no lights! So I can go into Vixen and change the output of my PX1 to either usb>rs485 adapter and my pixels work perfectly. If I change my normal light output to either adapter I get nothing! I have tried moving the usb>rs485 adapter around to different ports (and made sure the port settings were correct) and I also tried setting up a new controller in Vixen and then patching it out to the new usb>rs485 adapter - still nothing.

Can somebody PLEASE help me get this resolved?!?!

I had an issue once and somebody from Vixen had me either replace or delete some files somewhere in Vixen that reset something and it got me going again but for the life of me I can't find that info. I wonder if that process may help this situation. For some reason I thought it was either a "Temp" folder or something to do with a config or sys file.

Any help to get my show up and going is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Vixen is down and i have no show - Please Help!

I had a similar issue with Cat5 but the "trip" caused some stretching in the Cat5 and ended up breaking the wires inside at some point. Have you tried replacing the Cat5? My first bet was ports or port numbers changing but it sounds like you covered that one.
    Making it bright since 1989...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scottmcm View Post
    I had a similar issue with Cat5 but the "trip" caused some stretching in the Cat5 and ended up breaking the wires inside at some point. Have you tried replacing the Cat5? My first bet was ports or port numbers changing but it sounds like you covered that one.
    I was really hoping that was it in the beginning but I have a cat5 tester and it tells me my line is good. I went and got another usb adapter, plugged it direct from the usb on my computer to the serial port on a SS24 I had that was working fine and I am still getting nothing. I can get a data signal to my pixels but nothing goes out to the normal lights.

Post Thanks / Like

I also just tried a system restore to a week ago hoping that would help and still no output to my main boards. My PX1's are working great though! This is driving me crazy. I've taken the day off work to try to get this resolved, I was supposed to go live tonight.

An interesting observation: My usb adapters have two little lights - a red one whenever it's plugged in and a blue one that comes on when I open Vixen. The reds are both solid but the blue on my PX1 is flashing slow and the "Renard" output flashes much faster. This happens with even when I change out the usb adapter. I also switched outputs and reversed the PX1 and Renard cables with the same result - blue light flashes much faster at whatever output is designated "Renard"

Post Thanks / Like

Does the new replacement USB to Serial dongle have the same COM port number as the old one? It likely came up with a different com port number when you plugged it in. Windows does that to prevent conflicts. If that's the case, there's two things you can do to straighten that out. You could either configure this new adapter with the old COM port number. Or you can change vixen to use the new COM port number.

To change the port number on the adapter, you'd do that from windows device manager. Find the "Ports (COM and LPT)" section and expand it. Make note of the ports listed there. Then go and unplug the dongle that is working properly. That should leave you with just the problem one in the list. if you right click it and go to the Port Settings tab and click the advanced button. In there you should be able to change the COM port number.

Alternately, go into Vixen and right click on the controller in display setup and select the correct COM port.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jchuchla View Post
    Does the new replacement USB to Serial dongle have the same COM port number as the old one? It likely came up with a different com port number when you plugged it in. Windows does that to prevent conflicts. If that's the case, there's two things you can do to straighten that out. You could either configure this new adapter with the old COM port number. Or you can change vixen to use the new COM port number.

To change the port number on the adapter, you'd do that from windows device manager. Find the "Ports (COM and LPT)" section and expand it. Make note of the ports listed there. Then go and unplug the dongle that is working properly. That should leave you with just the problem one in the list. if you right click it and go to the Port Settings tab and click the advanced button. In there you should be able to change the COM port number.

Alternately, go into Vixen and right click on the controller in display setup and select the correct COM port.
    Thank you, I did think of that and tried different ports (while making changes in port settings and Vixen) with no luck. So I finally broke down and took a laptop my wife bought about 6 months that she never opened and used it. A fresh Vixen download and install on a completely new computer. Plugged in my usb>rs485adapter and would you believe it does the same thing?!?!? The problem has to be these adapters. The crazy thing is I have 3 and have been using 2 for my show for years with no problem. Today I even switched out the unused adapter with the "Renard" adapter and got the same thing. This just started a day ago when I tripped over a cat5 line that was connected to it. I could see that causing an issue with that one but why the other two is what baffles me. I can't get my show going because now none of them will put out the "Renard" signal.

Post Thanks / Like

Are you seeing errors in vixen’s log related to not being able to open the com ports?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I bet that's the case. If it is, you'll want to see if other applications can open the com port. For the sake of testing the com port, it doesn't really matter what the data is. You could try a terminal program like putty and see if it can open the port. If it can, you should be able to type into the terminal and observe blinking lights on the data light on the dongle. If you can't get that to work, then you need to be looking at windows and driver issues.

Post Thanks / Like

When you tripped on the cable, you may have damaged the cable or the cat5 connector. Check to make sure your cable is good, too.

http://digwdf.com/store/
    The DIGWDF Store will be closing at the end of December -- but there's still a little stock left!
    While it's still open, please check us out for blinky-flashy gizmos that nobody else on the planet makes!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jchuchla View Post
    Are you seeing errors in vixen’s log related to not being able to open the com ports?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm sorry, I'm not real good with computers. Is the file your talking about in the MyDocuments>Vixen3>Logs>Application.Error? If so, there a LOT from today. Here is a sample:

12/07/2018 09:38:00 [Vixen.Sys.Managers.HardwareUpdateThread] Controller PX1 error System.IO.IOException: The I/O operation has been aborted because of either a thread exit or an application request.

at System.IO.Ports.InternalResources.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String str)
    at System.IO.Ports.SerialStream.EndWrite(IAsyncResult asyncResult)
    at System.IO.Ports.SerialStream.Write(Byte[] array, Int32 offset, Int32 count, Int32 timeout)
    at System.IO.Ports.SerialPort.Write(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 count)
    at VixenModules.Output.Renard.Module.UpdateState(Int3 2 chainIndex, ICommand[] outputStates)
    at Vixen.Sys.Output.OutputController.Update()
    at Vixen.Sys.Managers.HardwareUpdateThread._ThreadFun c() at System.IO.Ports.InternalResources.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String str)
    at System.IO.Ports.SerialStream.Write(Byte[] array, Int32 offset, Int32 count, Int32 timeout)
    at VixenModules.Output.Renard.Module.UpdateState(Int3 2 chainIndex, ICommand[] outputStates)
    at Vixen.Sys.Managers.HardwareUpdateThread._ThreadFun c()
    12/07/2018 09:38:00 [Vixen.Sys.Managers.OutputDeviceExecution`1] Device PX1 experienced an error during execution and was shutdown.
    12/07/2018 09:38:00 [Vixen.Sys.Managers.HardwareUpdateThread] Controller Renard error System.IO.IOException: The I/O operation has been aborted because of either a thread exit or an application request.

at System.IO.Ports.InternalResources.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String str)
    at Vixen.Sys.Managers.HardwareUpdateThread._ThreadFun c() at System.IO.Ports.InternalResources.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String str)
    at Vixen.Sys.Managers.HardwareUpdateThread._ThreadFun c()
    12/07/2018 09:38:00 [Vixen.Sys.Managers.OutputDeviceExecution`1] Device Renard experienced an error during execution and was shutdown.
    12/07/2018 09:38:47 [Vixen.Sys.Managers.HardwareUpdateThread] Controller PX1 error System.IO.IOException: The I/O operation has been aborted because of either a thread exit or an application request.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast