Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2018 - Light of Christmas

Post Thanks / Like

Default 2018 - Light of Christmas

I'm starting to get some local push-back on blinky-flashy and this may turn out to be my last year. So here's one of our sequences for 2018... it's a good one to go out on....

https://vimeo.com/304526728

Last edited by dirknerkle; 12-07-2018 at 01:40 AM.

http://digwdf.com/store/
    The DIGWDF Store will be closing at the end of December -- but there's still a little stock left!
    While it's still open, please check us out for blinky-flashy gizmos that nobody else on the planet makes!

2. Likes Macrosill, Jeff Millard liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 2018 - Light of Christmas

th.jpg

nice video Dave
    James WinterHaven Fl

Post Thanks / Like

That looks awesome. I hope your not serious about this being your last year. By the way how many wireless extension cords do you think you used in that video?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dkelly0802 View Post
    That looks awesome. I hope your not serious about this being your last year. By the way how many wireless extension cords do you think you used in that video?
    Believe it or not, I only needed 7 wireless extension cords! Three of them had multiple sockets, though...

Thanks for the comment! I'm hoping it's not my last year but it depends on multiple external factors. I scaled back quite a bit this year as is evidenced by a relatively empty front yard. That helped... somewhat... but the tour buses are the main problem. We live in a quiet neighborhood and a lot of folks would like it to remain that way. We don't have a HOA or a policing issue; it's more of a mutual concern for all our friends. And, of course, Mrs. Dirk...

The DIGWDF Store will be closing at the end of December -- but there's still a little stock left!
    While it's still open, please check us out for blinky-flashy gizmos that nobody else on the planet makes!

Post Thanks / Like

Love the show, and I understand about the community issues. I am lucky to get a passerby or two a week, however I know a few of my neighbors feel my animated display is tacky and distasteful. That's why I tone it down during the week nights.

Post Thanks / Like

I like the singing snowman.
    Thanks,
    Brian, your friendly site Admin.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dirknerkle View Post
    Believe it or not, I only needed 7 wireless extension cords! Three of them had multiple sockets, though...

Thanks for the comment! I'm hoping it's not my last year but it depends on multiple external factors. I scaled back quite a bit this year as is evidenced by a relatively empty front yard. That helped... somewhat... but the tour buses are the main problem. We live in a quiet neighborhood and a lot of folks would like it to remain that way. We don't have a HOA or a policing issue; it's more of a mutual concern for all our friends. And, of course, Mrs. Dirk...
    Hi Dave, how does the tour bus thing work? I've seen it posted as a problem but never realy known what it consists of or how it works.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Barnabybear View Post
    Hi Dave, how does the tour bus thing work? I've seen it posted as a problem but never realy known what it consists of or how it works.
    While we've never advertised or put our show on a list, somehow we landed on one. Sometimes groups of people hire a bus and go ride around while they consume adult beverages and hors d'oeuvres inside... and during the holidays, these buses take them around to see Christmas lights. The tour bus companies have picked up on this and actually create Christmas Light Tours and people can buy tickets.

The buses park out in front of the house, stay about 5 minutes and then go to the next show. Of course, tour buses are HUGE, and they have big, diesel engines, and that creates significant noise when there are two or more buses together. It can also create a traffic logjam of sorts because residential streets are not exactly designed for that sort of thing. Several neighbors host holiday parties and their guests' cars are parked in the street -- which narrows it even further.

While our cold temperatures provide an incentive for people to stay inside the buses, I've heard reports of some shows where several people got off the bus to scope out the show which can damage props or, if the people are really rowdy, NOISE! This hasn't happened here, thankfully...

Obviously the most spectacular shows get the most traffic, so I've cut mine back a bit to hopefully lessen the chance for tour buses to come by. Last night was a perfect example: two of them were out in front of the house when I came home from choir rehearsal and I had to wait for one of them to move so I could get into my own driveway and put the car in the garage.

Post Thanks / Like

...Hey Siri, please turn off all the lights until the big smelly tour busses leave. Siri: Done!

When I read this out loud, Siri replied "I'm not sure how to do that with Home Kit because I don't know what you mean by big smelly tour busses..."

I guess it needs some work...

Jeff
    13th original member

11. Likes Macrosill liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Dave,
    I never would have seen or enjoyed my success in this hobby if fate would not have led me to you. Things in my life have always happened for reason. There was a reason I unknowingly in 1999 bought a house on Ithaca Lane that would lead me to a guy with a passion for synchronized lights 10 years later. There just so happens to be a place for someone with the passion for Christmas and this hobby. Its a place where its current driver becomes less able to drive the route each year. Last night I approached a car on Juneau and inquired if this was the first time at PD Shimmers. As I offered cookies I heard joyous cries of glee from behind the driver. 3 children the oldest maybe 5 were looking at the lights. "No, we've been coming each year for years now." I was a piece of this family's Christmas. their Christmas tradition was to see my lightshow. This is why we do it Dave. Maybe it is time for you to grow out of your zone. Ithaca Lane will be static next year. Could it be our destiny is to join together?
    PD Shimmers
    Plymouth, MN
    http://www.pdshimmers.com

Ithaca Lane - Plymouth MN
    8 Homes with 58,000 lights
    "One light for each person diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease in 2017"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast