Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LED "flutter"

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: LED "flutter"

Duplicate
    Last edited by kev; 12-12-2018 at 02:53 PM.
    Kevin

2017 - Pi3 w/FPP controlling 8 ESPixelsticks driving 1250pixels and 3 Arduino MEGAS communicating with ESP-01s driving 96 channels
    2016 - 184 channels of Blinking/Flashing using 4 Arduino MEGAs and cheap home-made props.

Post Thanks / Like

Victor_PV sketch uses a header. You can find the sketch on this site. If you use it, it already has the digitalWrite code in it. You would add a header of ~! to the header dialog box in the Vixe n controller section (where you adjust the band rate). A lot of people use the Victor sketch.

http://doityourselfchristmas.com/for...th-Random-mode
    Kevin

2017 - Pi3 w/FPP controlling 8 ESPixelsticks driving 1250pixels and 3 Arduino MEGAS communicating with ESP-01s driving 96 channels
    2016 - 184 channels of Blinking/Flashing using 4 Arduino MEGAs and cheap home-made props.

Post Thanks / Like

So, being unable to eliminate the "flutter" for my Christmas display, I removed my newly-constructed Arduino control box and plugged my lights directly into the wall outlet. There was no flutter in any of the lights. This leads me to think perhaps my 5v/2amp power transformer was the source of the flutter. I'm just wondering what other members of this forum think is the likelihood that investing in a better power transformer would eliminate the undesirable flashing of lights when I am switching them on and off through my control panel. The 110 voltage is the same either way, the difference being I have a POSSIBLE culprit in the transformer. Possible?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by empac99 View Post
    I'm running 2 Sainsmart 8 channel SSR's. I don't see other distinguishing markings on them.........
    Upon re-reading this thread, I just noticed that you are using the Sainsmart SSR's. If you have the $20 version of the SSR's, they can not dim correctly. Sainsmart has a newer SSR listed on their site for $42 that may dim, but I don't know as I have never used them.

A short video of the "flutter" might help us.
    Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

And at what brightness do they flutter? Create a sequence that cycles through Full on dimming to off and then back on over a 10 sec period. Most likely you ar only outputting a quick pulse to the SSR. For LEDs you need to have the SSR signal on for the entire on period.

2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

DirkCheap SSRs or any of the other AC SSRs on this site are less expensive per channel and do dimming very nicely.

2020 Full sized show reworked for the new location. Only adding (famous last words) 13 RBLs that I finally got converted to using pixels
    2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show. Dim show (3000 pixels) had regular visits most nights.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12