Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: LED "flutter"

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: LED "flutter"

Duplicate
    Last edited by kev; 12-12-2018 at 02:53 PM.
    Kevin

2017 - Pi3 w/FPP controlling 8 ESPixelsticks driving 1250pixels and 3 Arduino MEGAS communicating with ESP-01s driving 96 channels
    2016 - 184 channels of Blinking/Flashing using 4 Arduino MEGAs and cheap home-made props.

Post Thanks / Like

Victor_PV sketch uses a header. You can find the sketch on this site. If you use it, it already has the digitalWrite code in it. You would add a header of ~! to the header dialog box in the Vixe n controller section (where you adjust the band rate). A lot of people use the Victor sketch.

http://doityourselfchristmas.com/for...th-Random-mode
    Kevin

2017 - Pi3 w/FPP controlling 8 ESPixelsticks driving 1250pixels and 3 Arduino MEGAS communicating with ESP-01s driving 96 channels
    2016 - 184 channels of Blinking/Flashing using 4 Arduino MEGAs and cheap home-made props.

Post Thanks / Like

So, being unable to eliminate the "flutter" for my Christmas display, I removed my newly-constructed Arduino control box and plugged my lights directly into the wall outlet. There was no flutter in any of the lights. This leads me to think perhaps my 5v/2amp power transformer was the source of the flutter. I'm just wondering what other members of this forum think is the likelihood that investing in a better power transformer would eliminate the undesirable flashing of lights when I am switching them on and off through my control panel. The 110 voltage is the same either way, the difference being I have a POSSIBLE culprit in the transformer. Possible?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by empac99 View Post
    I'm running 2 Sainsmart 8 channel SSR's. I don't see other distinguishing markings on them.........
    Upon re-reading this thread, I just noticed that you are using the Sainsmart SSR's. If you have the $20 version of the SSR's, they can not dim correctly. Sainsmart has a newer SSR listed on their site for $42 that may dim, but I don't know as I have never used them.

A short video of the "flutter" might help us.
    Kevin

Post Thanks / Like

And at what brightness do they flutter? Create a sequence that cycles through Full on dimming to off and then back on over a 10 sec period. Most likely you ar only outputting a quick pulse to the SSR. For LEDs you need to have the SSR signal on for the entire on period.

2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Post Thanks / Like

DirkCheap SSRs or any of the other AC SSRs on this site are less expensive per channel and do dimming very nicely.

2019 - Just moved into a new home (yet another change of plans). Will be dim but not dark. Too much to do at the new place to leave time for a show.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyX...ttrsZNARkUce0Q

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12