Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What lesson have you learned the hard way when working on your display?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What lesson have you learned the hard way when working on your display?

Do more testing with more display pieces connected to the show network rather than think you'll just figure it out once it's all laid out.

2. Likes Cdanna77 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What lesson have you learned the hard way when working on your display?

That you should pay close attention when making power injection cables so that you dont solder the pigtail onto the end of a scrap piece of wire instead of the carefully measured out piece that you meant to use!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2016 - 72 Renard Channels - Roughly 4,200 Lights - 3 Sequenced Songs

You Tube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ8...yLJieEEwDto7xg

Hoping to add Pixel Arches and Roof Llines in 2018!

4. Likes rstehle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That you should set up whatever you have ready on that one warm and dry day in early November instead of spending it working in the shop to get that last prop working. Cold, rainy, and snowy days have a way of sticking around once they show up for the year.

2016 - 72 Renard Channels - Roughly 4,200 Lights - 3 Sequenced Songs

You Tube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ8...yLJieEEwDto7xg

Hoping to add Pixel Arches and Roof Llines in 2018!

Post Thanks / Like

Don't trust the status led's on the controller. The led itself may have failed. I played around for hours thinking that the unit was not receiving data because the status led was not blinking only to find that it was a bad status light.

Post Thanks / Like

Hanging icicle lights on a roof peak 30 feet up using plastic clips is even a bigger PITA and scarier than I imagined. I have to figure out some easy to hang, prebuilt solution for next year.

Post Thanks / Like

Lesson learned: Don't fight Mother Nature; understand her and work with her.

Years ago, I started out using cat5 cable between the controllers to remote SSRs. That's nothing new, but about in mid-December one year, I learned that cat5 plugs shatter if the temperature drops well below zero. And I discovered that that if you step on cat5 cable in those temperatures, accidentally or otherwise, one or more of the tiny cat5 wires inside the cable can break because the wire insulation has become so hard and brittle -- and repairing a break "somewhere" in the cable is not easy when the outdoor temperature is a native -20F with a 20mph wind... which is roughly equivalent to -50F on uncovered skin. Ever try to fix a wire with gloves on? Yeah, it's pretty hard... so you take them off and in those temps, you've got only a minute or two before your skin starts to freeze...

That was the last year I used cat5 and went all wireless the next year. And while wireless has its own challenges (in any weather, really), it can solve many problems that can't be managed any other way. Now, my only cat5 cable runs between the outdoor wireless access point and my router. Life is good.

http://digwdf.com/store/
    The DIGWDF Store will be closing at the end of December -- but there's still a little stock left!
    While it's still open, please check us out for blinky-flashy gizmos that nobody else on the planet makes!

Post Thanks / Like

Always, always, always, double check the voltage of the power supply you are hooking up to test with. Getting the wrong one will result in more display funds being spent.

Post Thanks / Like

How the ez rj45 tool can solve one's nemesis . For me the rj45 connectors have been the only source of grief in building and as of Thursday Dec 6 2018 this nemesis is finally defeated .

I have etched this date in stone

Best of luck to all of you in overcoming whatever obstacles you have may have that are yet a nemesis to you .

Post Thanks / Like

Hard to choose only one.
    Don't leave props outside all year if you can help it. Damn spiders, weather, and seasonal droppings in spring and fall.
    Jim Nealand
    Kennesaw, Ga

Post Thanks / Like

If it ain't working, sleep on it first (if possible) before you start making stupid assumptions and trying to fix it
    Jim Nealand
    Kennesaw, Ga

13. Likes DrNeutron liked this post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast