Thread: NOOB having trouble using extended GPIO outputs on RPi2

Post Thanks / Like

Post NOOB having trouble using extended GPIO outputs on RPi2

Hi everyone!
    I am new to this hobby but not new to electronics.
    I have modified two Mr.Christmas "lights and sounds of christmas" boxes, to be controlled by raspberry Pi2 and added 9 more channels for atotal of 21 to control traditional (LED) strings.
    I installed an I/O port expander board with an MCP23017 chip on it to get extra GPIOs.
    My problem is I'm not sure how to access or identify the extra I2C ports in Falconplayer. I've been chasing around old posts about using that chip with Falconplayer but can't find much info.

Can anyone here point me in the right direction?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: NOOB having trouble using extended GPIO outputs on RPi2

You should post this question on the Falcon board. I use the GPIO expander in my projects. It works well if you are using wiringPI and have some startup scripts to install/enable the ports on boot. It does not automatically install/enable.

2018 - Moving and going to visit my Daughter in New Zealand. Most likely I will be dark or nearly dark, Some static stuff that is simple to put up.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: NOOB having trouble using extended GPIO outputs on RPi2

Hi. Thanks for the quick response. I have it also posted in the falcon forum but no reply yet.
    I believe I already have scripts in place and the i2c enabled which tested working, just need to know what type of controller to pick in falconplayer GPIO 595, generic serial? that is the next step i think.