• Eh, whatever

18 20.93%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Great Christmas Light Fight 2018

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default The Great Christmas Light Fight 2018

I just watched the 2 hour season premiere last night with the family. We did not make it through to the end of the second hour.

Is it me or has it become over the top ridiculous? It appears the people are going way above and beyond what they actually do annually. Like the police cars, fire trucks, santa on a sleigh and fireworks. They do not do all that stuff each night for the regular people. Why showcase that? I know, it is a show, I get that.

I guess I like the original few seasons when they actually featured the real display and not something done for a single night.

Back to the question, Do you still enjoy watching The Great Christmas Light Fight or have you tuned it out?
    Thanks,
    Brian, your friendly site Admin.

2. Thanks Keith R thanked for this post
    Likes Keith R, uncledan, Stormyblade liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: The Great Christmas Light Fight 2018

I fast forward through most of it to see if there is a display that interests me

Post Thanks / Like

The first episode with a lawn covered in blomolds did not impress. I prefer quality over quantity. Last week the 'heavy weight division' competition was more impressive. I'm never going to have 4 million lights at my house, but I saw a few creative ideas I can use in the future. Anymore, I pick something else to watch in the same time slot and use the 'previous channel' button to bounce back and forth to avoid the boring parts.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

My display is mostly blow molds and wire frames. But mine is organized into sections. I have a North Pole section, a Nativity, a parade, and what I call my Central Park section where I have my white Christmas trees that move to the music. I also have an 18ft tall Mega Tree in the middle of the yard. In this season and previous seasons, the displays with all blow molds were just thrown randomly all over the place like some plastic monster puked its guts out on their lawn.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNv4__V1LA8

or type Christmas lights in st charles in the youtube search bar.
    Leglamp

6. Likes NDNS00ner liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Lawns that look like the walmart christmas section exploded do not appeal to me at all. Very little to no thought / creativity seems to go into them. However that seems to be the ones that impress the judges the most. Buy a bunch of $*&^ and throw it in the yard - call the judges. WIN. Nah - not my style.

8. Likes Dougp liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes I too am tired of the "Grandstanding". There's no need for firetrucks, marching bands, or imitation Partridge Family on the rooftops in this show. I am also really tired of hearing every person's depressing stories. This is on a Disney network so it doesn't surprise me that they think they have to go over the top.

Leglamp

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with all of you, too. I fast forward through it to see if there is anything at all that gets my attention. It now looks like a version of hoarders with electricity. There isn't a lot of skill or art involved in most of it. Purely collecting tons of stuff.
    Ed
    Happily retired

11. Likes DrewDennis, Dougp, wlsntec liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

What I find interesting is how many of the displays that are on the show end up shutting down within a year or so. Those that don't shut down also seen to end up in battles with their neighbors or communities over traffic issues.
    2012 Second Animated Christmas
    http://vimeo.com/33886466
    http://www.christmasinwarren.com

Become a Supporting Member of DIYC! Click Here
    Tip: Backup your sequences on a free cloud storage site like Dropbox. Click Here for free 2Gb storage.

Click here to show/hide my display details ...

Post Thanks / Like

This show is what originally peaked my interest in creating a computerized display. The first time I watched it I had no idea what a controller was or what it did. So I am thankful for the show getting me into the hobby. But, it was better back when it was new. It seems to have "jumped the shark" in my opinion and would be surprised if it returned for another season.

14. Likes Shockwave liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

They're already recruiting for next years episodes. When they go to commercial break they run a short ad asking if you want to be on the next GCLF.
    I too wish they would go back to basics and do the typical home display. Not the 5 or 10 acre theme parks that are on here this season.

Leglamp

16. Likes Amigorick liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast