• I watch it if nothing else is on

25 28.09%
  • Eh, whatever

19 21.35%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Great Christmas Light Fight 2018

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: The Great Christmas Light Fight 2018

Unfortunately I have to agree about a few things..

• I don't like the grandstanding. If you don't show it every night in your display, then it should not be on it... I know when I was on the show, what you saw i swhat everyone saw when they came to see my display, except the walk thru part of course.

• This year, I also thought the first night was boring but the heavy weight show was pretty cool. I thought that was a real "light fight".

• I too am tired of all the sob stories. It would be great if they would spend less time on the stories that are actually unrelated to the light fight aspect. It is not relevant to the "light fight" aspect that some family member died and you get a tear in your eye when you think about it. Personally I don't care what your motivation is, I want to see your creativity and your lights. Yes, they feel it makes good TV, but personally, I skip past all that stuff on the DVR...

• Not enough of the actual lights. They spend so much time on everything else, you really don't get any feel for the "light fight" part. I think they do much better on static displays than they do on animated displays. You really can't get any feel for the animated display because the editing on those types of displays sucks. Again, they feel it is good TV and those of us that actually do animated displays are in the minority, so we pretty much don't count in the ratings.

• It appears to have become the "Christmas Decorating Show" rather than the "Great Christmas Light Fight".

I have kept my comments about the show to myself for the last three seasons. I have been very positive about the whole thing.. but the first show of this season was so boring.. I about gave up.. then the "heavy weights'" came on.. and that is what I think it should be about.. but again, it's TV.. ha ha
    Last edited by plasmadrive; 12-06-2018 at 10:44 AM.

2. Thanks Dougp thanked for this post
    Likes Dougp, MikelMD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I enjoy the show and have it on DVR. It is what it is and the show is geared towards entertaining the average joe viewer. The same people that go by our homes and say wow. I like watching and look for new ideas for my display.

4. Thanks angus40 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I enjoy the show. I look at it a little different maybe. I see the large display and ask how do they power all that. I look at the different ways the lights are used and wonder if I can do something similar with mine. I also run a static display in the side yard. How do they keep all those light strings working?

What I want to see is the power part, the extension cords, how are you keeping the connections dry? Previous seasons used to show those details.

I did not enjoy most of this years opening show. All that stuff inside is not lighted. The wire frame yard had lots of lights everywhere, huge yard covered. That takes time and again, how do they run all the power for it!? Does everyone run multiple generators half night the whole month of December?

The family history and issues I could do without. There are many other families in worse condition then they are. The sob stories seem to sway the judges too.

Some of the displays are not to my taste, some are questionably sloppy. Having lots of stuff in a messy way doesn't cut it for me. But everyone has their own taste, and after all, they are on the show and I am not! Not saying I am anywhere near ready, I canít keep my light strings working!

I have not seen the second show yet, its on DVR our week nights get too busy.
    http://www.vixenlights.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Vixen3-Logo-435x165White-300x107.png

6. Likes MikelMD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I flipped it on earlier this week for a couple minutes only to hear the home owner say,"Yep, 4 million lights!" and the camera panned over the display. I just switched to watch the news instead. I have zero interest in that. It's impossible to relate to that kind of grotesque ostentatiousness and excess. The show has lived for a few years now -- it's time to retire it because it's become ridiculous sensationalism instead of any kind of meaningful program.

But my concern is that the Light Fight show is what people are starting to associate us "normal" Christmas decorators with. I don't do my show for that reason and I'm pretty sure most of us don't. Consequently it makes me feel like pulling my show because I don't want to be associated with that.

http://digwdf.com/store/
    The DIGWDF Store will be closing at the end of December -- but there's still a little stock left!
    While it's still open, please check us out for blinky-flashy gizmos that nobody else on the planet makes!

8. Likes Amigorick, Dougp liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My wife and I watch it, but as soon as we hear a competitor say "we've got this in the bag" we are turned off. I would say 2/3rds of the people are just flat out obnoxious. The others who put love and effort into their displays are the people we root for. ALSO fire doesn't belong in a Christmas light display. I don't care how cool it is to build, setup or control projection mapping and fire cannons just make me think Metalica is on stage, not the celebration of the birth of Jesus. There have been quite a few DIYC members that have been on the show and thankfully that was way back when. They even got rid of the cute elf that giggled a couple of years ago. It's a hard look at what some have become in the US.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dirknerkle View Post
    grotesque ostentatiousness
    Really??? Really??? using words with that many syllables??? Come on.. we can't do more than 2 at a time.. maybe 3 on a good day.. LOL

Post Thanks / Like

The 4 million light display looked good. It was in the heavy weight division.

That would be to bad if you quit your show due to a TV show.

I enjoy watching the show don't always like the displays but that does not matter.

Post Thanks / Like

I watch the show, but it's not like I plan my evenings around it. I think it'd be a better show if it were a surprise show. Like if they didn't tell the contestants in advance. They just show up to a show that's already up, ask if they can film it and put it on TV. That would give a more organic feel to it. Take away all of the showboating around "the reveal" and all the neighbors standing around and all that. There would still be plenty of opportunities for them to do their interviews and get the backstory on why the family does it.

I did like the display with the red lights consuming the ground and the white twinkling river. I could never pull that off, but it was impressive to see.

Post Thanks / Like

The show has become commercialized. These people don't put the displays up themselves. Like that 20 year old that had a rock concert size commercial setup.....there is NO way that kid paid for all of that on his won. That also wasnt a Christmas display in my eyes.

I miss the genuine family displays, which there are still a few on the show from time to time. But its getting harder and harder to watch. I also was not impressed with that one display that had 4 million lights. Sure he had 4 million lights but it wasnt Christmas themed in my eyes. Not to mention they were just all string lights laid on the ground.
    2016 - 32 LOR Channels - Roughly 5,000 Lights - 2 Sequenced Songs
    2017 - 64 LOR Channels - 9,373 Lights - 4 Sequenced Songs
    2018 - 64 LOR Channels - New House - Complete Redesign - 9,011 Lights - 5 Sequenced Songs

Ridgewood Lights - Facebook Page
    Ridgewood Lights - YouTube Page

Moved Beginning Of 2018, New Display With A New Name Coming End Of 2018!

Best Christmas Lights of 2017

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jchuchla View Post
    I watch the show, but it's not like I plan my evenings around it. I think it'd be a better show if it were a surprise show. Like if they didn't tell the contestants in advance. They just show up to a show that's already up, ask if they can film it and put it on TV. That would give a more organic feel to it. Take away all of the showboating around "the reveal" and all the neighbors standing around and all that. There would still be plenty of opportunities for them to do their interviews and get the backstory on why the family does it.

I did like the display with the red lights consuming the ground and the white twinkling river. I could never pull that off, but it was impressive to see.
    Given all the prep work, personnel for shooting, permitting and equipment required to just film the show, there is no way they could just show up. There were here twice. Once during setup for a day and once during the reveal which took three days. There really is a lot that goes into getting that show ready.. then there is all the editing.. sometimes that cracks me up..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast