Thread: access 682 webserver on show network

Post Thanks / Like

Default access 682 webserver on show network

i'm finally trying to learn/play with a xlights/fpp/e682 setup. after the controllers are addressed on the show network, how do you guys access the controller web server? can i run a browser on the pi and point to the controller?

maybe while playing, i just should keep it all on the home network?

thanks,
    calvin.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: access 682 webserver on show network

Calvin,
    You either have to put the computer on the show network or connect the two networks together. I would recommend setting the show network up now as if it were setup to run the display. Once setup there is nothing to change and if anything does not work at show time it is one less thing to have to second guess and troubleshoot.

The easiest is to put the computer on the show network. You can do this by giving each device a static ip address and then just connect them all together with a single network switch. You could also put a wifi router on the show network and just connect to its wifi to access anything on it when needed.

I run two networks that are connected through a couple routers. A little more complicated but not rocket science.

Or, if it is a desktop you can add a wifi adapter to it. Have the ethernet port connected to the home network and the wifi connected to the show network. Then there is nothing to change.

More than 1 way to skin a cat. Or do I have to say skin a potato. Maybe more than 1 way to skin a cable is better. Then the electricians will get offended. Ugh LOL
    Thanks,
    Brian, your friendly site Admin.

Post Thanks / Like

My show network is subnet 192.168.2.xx and includes:
    A Windows Laptop with a fixed IP address (192.168.2.10) running xLights
    Several E1.31 devices
    A wireless router with a fixed WAN IP address 192.168.1.210
    Adding in wireless E1.31 (ESPixelStricks)

I have the WAN port of the wireless router connected to a port on my home network (subnet 192.168.1.xx).
    I configure port forwarding (AKA: DMZ, application port, gaming port, etc.) for all ports to go to my show laptop (192.168.2.10)
    From anywhere on my home network I can Remote Desktop (AKA: RDP, VNC, etc.) into the Show Laptop and run a browser from there.

A picture would likely help but no time to produce one right now.

I do not know the capabilities of the PI . I do not know if you can run FPP and a browser at the same time on a PI or not.

Post Thanks / Like

wow, easy-peasy...

turn off the wifi on my pc, set the ethernet to any static show network address, plug cable from pc to 682 and there it is.

i was dreading the e682 "force temp address" procedure that i read about

so tonight... on to xlights!