Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New member and hobbyist. House too far from road. Need ideas.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: New member and hobbyist. House too far from road. Need ideas.

Hi, just to throw another option in to the mix. What about lead acid batteries? A 100Ah battery would provide 25A / hour for a 4 hour show and could then be on charged for the other 20 hours. 100Ah / 20 hours is 5A / hour to charge, if it’s charged from a 120V supply 1A would be sufficient.
    Last edited by Barnabybear; 12-13-2018 at 09:20 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Barnabybear View Post
    Hi, just to throw another option in to the mix. What about lead acid batteries? A 100Ah battery would provide 25A / hour for a 4 hour show and could then be on charged for the other 20 hours. 100Ah / 20 hours is 5A / hour to charge, if it’s charged from a 120V supply 1A would be sufficient.
    One, you'll need deep cycle batteries.
    Two, you'll have to drop what you are doing and put on a charger after the show every single night. I doubt after a week you'll feel like doing it anymore.
    Three, if you do the simple battery swap so your charger is where the power is, you have to lug said battery back and forth, every single night. ugh!
    Four, 12 volt batteries don't stay 12V as they are used up. The power will drop to 11V around the 3 hour mark. This will cause some 12v lights to change color and stop working altogether. (Blue goes out first.)

It's a common trick for boats and vehicles. But those have generators and gas motors to keep the batteries charged. Which is essentially the same here as a gas powered generator. It's a clever idea you have, and there are places where you must use it, like far corners of a ranch. But the rancher I've seen doing this trick, is running static lights only. And he has a quad wheeler he uses to carry the batteries to swap at 5pm every evening. He's got them painted red and blue, so while doing the swap on the back of the quad runner, it's easy to tell which battery is coming back and which is going out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shockwave View Post
    One, you'll need deep cycle batteries.
    Two, you'll have to drop what you are doing and put on a charger after the show every single night. I doubt after a week you'll feel like doing it anymore.
    Three, if you do the simple battery swap so your charger is where the power is, you have to lug said battery back and forth, every single night. ugh!
    Four, 12 volt batteries don't stay 12V as they are used up. The power will drop to 11V around the 3 hour mark. This will cause some 12v lights to change color and stop working altogether. (Blue goes out first.)

It's a common trick for boats and vehicles. But those have generators and gas motors to keep the batteries charged. Which is essentially the same here as a gas powered generator. It's a clever idea you have, and there are places where you must use it, like far corners of a ranch. But the rancher I've seen doing this trick, is running static lights only. And he has a quad wheeler he uses to carry the batteries to swap at 5pm every evening. He's got them painted red and blue, so while doing the swap on the back of the quad runner, it's easy to tell which battery is coming back and which is going out.
    Hi, I was just wanted to point out that if the ‘new supply’ or running a new 30A cable became prohibitive that another option was available. I agree that deep cycle batteries of a TBC type and capacity would be needed. I was thinking of leaving them in their show position to charge them, via a 120V 5A supply from the house for example, which could be a temporary. This could be intern put on a timer to ensure that the chargers where not powered up during the display so their fuses don’t blow. The powering down of the charges could also connect and disconnect the 12V output to the pixels through a relay. It’s not a preferred option but I don’t see why it wouldn’t be viable.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123