Thread: Toasted power supply

Post Thanks / Like

Default Toasted power supply

Killed my first power supply in 3 years. Not sure it I am considering that a badge of honor or just being stupid. Built a new mega tree for this year with 1600 pixels in 16 strings off one hundred flipped at 50 to give me a 50 x 32 string tree. Running each 100 off one port of a e682. Drove it with a 60 amp 12v supply. Worked fine in early testing but about the second song in to a full test the last thing I heard was a sizzle and the smell of the magic smoke coming out of something. New 60 amp installed and another as power injection at the end of each string of 100.

Feel bad for killing a week old supply but we all got to go sometime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Toasted power supply

No fuses were blown?

Post Thanks / Like

It happens to us all. That's why you need a spare display in the back yard and a large mirror. This way when the front yard display lets out all the magic smoke you can turn on the back yard display, roll out the big mirror and you will have completed the optical illusion. The people in the street will think they are watching the front yard display when it fact it is just the reflection of the back yard backup display. LOL
    Thanks,
    Brian, your friendly site Admin.

4. Likes plasmadrive, rmcgee5 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

That sounds very much like something I did when I first got an E682. 16 strings of 50 12v pixels on 16 ports. All powered from a single 30 amp PSU. The PSU degraded gracefully by just going into a weird shutdown/restart cycle. No release of magic smoke, and strangely no popped fuse on the E682.

That was before I understood the power requirements. In my case, I was trying to pull ~40 amps from a 30 amp PSU. I added a 2nd 30 amp PSU to the other side of the E682 and everything was happy.

It sounds like your solution was to use your 2nd PSU to inject power for the back half of each string. That obviously works and is conceptually simple but involves a lot more wiring for the power injection. I think a simpler approach is what I did:

I am currently configured with 8 strings of 100 12v pixels (folded over) and only powered from the E682 outputs. 4 strings each on output clusters 1 and 3 (low side and high side of E682). A 30amp PSU (and 30 amp fuse) feeding each half of the E682. I could/should down size the fuses to 20amps each. I always supply for and test with full power white.

In your case, you need ~80 amps total (for full power white). If your PSU's and controller are mounted close to your pixels (typical in a pixel tree), all you need to do is provide a separate PSU for each side of the E682. That gives 100 12v pixels per output, or 800 12v pixels per side of the E682 which requires ~40amps per side of the E682. You would need PSU's rated at 40+ amps (heavy emphasis on the "+") (your 60's would be great). Finish with 2 x 40 amp fuses on the E682.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bwinter View Post
    No fuses were blown?
    No blown fuses. I think the power supply just overheated and something let loose.

I keep spares of cables, e682, power supplies..... ready for repairs or to jump start the next project

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Post Thanks / Like

a la... David Copperfield !
    Quote Originally Posted by Macrosill View Post
    It happens to us all. That's why you need a spare display in the back yard and a large mirror. This way when the front yard display lets out all the magic smoke you can turn on the back yard display, roll out the big mirror and you will have completed the optical illusion. The people in the street will think they are watching the front yard display when it fact it is just the reflection of the back yard backup display. LOL