Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to fix ws2811 lights flicker like being reset???

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How to fix ws2811 lights flicker like being reset???

That unexpected glow is the hint that something is not right. You say the standalone fixed pattern controller has the same issues?

It can hurt to turn the voltage down a bit. You are not that high but I have seen pixels that really do not like to be above the operating voltage.

2018 - Moving and going to visit my Daughter in New Zealand. Most likely I will be dark or nearly dark, Some static stuff that is simple to put up.

Post Thanks / Like

I have three different controllers

Renard wifi controller - I get the light blue glow which is a lower glow then my other wifi controller.
    Preprogrammed Wifi controller - blue glow also
    three button preprogrammed controller (you know the cheap $3 dollar ws2811 controller, push button to change preset programs that usually comes with under cabnet lights) - it does not glow.

I will try dropping the voltage down to 12 at the PSU when I get home tonight, and see if it changes anything.

Post Thanks / Like

Just got home and turned on my lights for 5mins to the brightest setting they would go. I haven't dialled back the power yet but will problem do that later.

Ok well some good news. Here is what I found. After watching the lights I can confirm that the very first pixel, it does not flicker, and the upper string of lights don't flicker either. It's only all of the lower section of lights that flicker.

This news makes me feel better about the lights, but what can I do to fix the lower section now?
    Last edited by Jyman; 12-06-2018 at 07:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

What Renard WIFI pixel controller do you have?
    That's a feature not a bug.
    There's no charge for that.

Post Thanks / Like

The newest one. As I just got it 2weeks ago.

Post Thanks / Like

That indicates you have a data problem coming out of your split leads. At lower intensity you may be introducing more noise into the data line and it is reflecting back into the other string. You might want to put a pair of pixel driver boards at the split point. That would isolate the strings and give you a stronger signal going to the strings. Like I said earlier, pixel data lines don't like to be split this way.

2018 - Moving and going to visit my Daughter in New Zealand. Most likely I will be dark or nearly dark, Some static stuff that is simple to put up.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you MartinMueller2003, I will try removing the upper line and watch it for a little while and see if it clears it up. I will report back with what I find.

Also where would I find a pixel driver board? Or if parts are easy to get is it better to build one?

Post Thanks / Like

in another thread someone mentioned they just purchased a few famp boards in stock on the falcon store

Post Thanks / Like

Ok thank you, but isn't the famp just for boosting the signal of one pixel? Not for dividing into two pixels.

Post Thanks / Like

It is a signal conditioner. Take the output of your single pixel, Tie it to the input of two famp devices (distance should be under 6 inches), take the output from one famp and send it to one destination pixel string, take the output of the other famp and send it to your other pixel string.

The short distance from the first pixels output to the famp inputs should help keep reflections under control.

NOTE: This is only a guess about what is creating your issue. If you can drive from pixel 1 to each of the other strings (one at a time) and all works then it is likely the split is what is causing your issues.

I personally would not split the signal. I would inject the data into one string and make one long chain out of the pixels.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast