Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to fix ws2811 lights flicker like being reset???

Post Thanks / Like

Default How to fix ws2811 lights flicker like being reset???

So like the title says I have 300 nodes (900 LEDs total) at 12v around the outside of my house, running on a Renard wifi pixel controller, and I'm having a problem with them randomly flicker like they are being reset, but they keep the pattern going. I have noticed it more when the pattern is moving faster or when the lights are brighter. Total draw should be 18amps and my power supply should be good for 30amps. Is my problem with the data or could this be a power problem?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How to fix ws2811 lights flicker like being reset???

In most cases flicker is caused by data corruption of some sort.
    Does the flickering start at pixel 1 or further along the chain?

As for your power, If you are drawing 18A then you must be using multiple runs from your PSU to your lights for power injection. How many runs are you using and where are you injecting?

2018 - Moving and going to visit my Daughter in New Zealand. Most likely I will be dark or nearly dark, Some static stuff that is simple to put up.

3. Likes tecnageek liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

It looks like they all flicker at once, but I haven't got out to check the first pixel yet. but they haven't flickered for the last couple minutes. Yes I have 17-19 spots that I have power injected at, and I ran all the numbers and made sure I had no more then a 5% drop at any one point.

Is there anything I can do to clean up the data signal? Like a Inline resistor or maybe something else
    Last edited by Jyman; 12-05-2018 at 11:34 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

are you using strips or bullet nodes? that is a lot of injection points. not a bad thing.

that does indicate data issues.

if the controller was resetting, the show would freeze for a few seconds, go dark, pick up again. is this what you are seeing?
    how are you playing the show?

how far is it from the controller to the first pixel?
    what kind of wire are you using to that first pixel?

adding a null pixel if the distance to the first pixel is too long might help. same for a resistor.

2018 - Moving and going to visit my Daughter in New Zealand. Most likely I will be dark or nearly dark, Some static stuff that is simple to put up.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm using a node, that's what I would call it, its 26mm across and has 3leds to one ws2811 chip. Yes a lot of injection but my power is in one spot and the lights run about 130feet one way, and when I was doing the math it was showing me voltage drops all the way down to 6volts. Hence why all the injection.

It doesn't freeze or go dark, it just gives a flicker, kind of like when a kid is playing with a light switch, and cycles it on and off really fast. My very first pixel also has this very light blue glow, light if you turned the intensity all the way down to like 5%. And it has less of a glow with the renard wifi controller compaired to my other one.

Im using vixen for one of my controllers, and my other controller is just a preprogrammed one. Both give me the same millisecond flicker.

I have my first pixel about 1foot from the controller, then it breaks off to two other pixel lines, one line is about 12feet away and the other larger line is 3feet.

I'm using the 22ish gauge wire from the controller to the first pixel, and from there I'm using 18gauge stranded wire to send the data the the other pixel lines. All the injection points use 18gauge low voltage wire.
    Last edited by Jyman; 12-06-2018 at 10:34 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Check out this link. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-13TqtPHCpQ It should help with the issue. He also has other great videos about pixels.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank wirenut1980, I have been watching his videos, but I don't recall seeing him address the problem I'm having. But I will have to watch thru them again to see if I missed something, plus I like seeing his dog when he makes an appearance in the videos

Post Thanks / Like

I just thought about it, my data signal lines run right beside all my power injection lines for about 4 feet on there way out of my garage out to the pixels. Could this 4 foot run be Picking up enough noise to cause problems?

Post Thanks / Like

A few red lights came on with your description.

You are sending a signal to a pixel that is showing problems and then wondering why the rest of the strings are having issues. Have you tried a different pixel as the first node? That blue glow is not expected.

Next, you indicate that you are taking the data line out of one pixel and connecting it directly to more than one pixel? The data line does not really like to do that. There are data splitters that will do this for you. You do realize that the two resulting strings will behave exactly the same. You no longer have individual control over the pixels.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I realize that spitting the signal to two different sets will make them act the same, for the way my roof line is set up that's exactly what I want for right now, as I'm only trying to use effects like dissolve and bars.

I divide the signal right after the first pixel which is the light blue glowing one. Even if I take off one set of pixels I still get the same effect.

Yes swapped out the light blue glowing pixel and it does it to the new one also. The light blue glowing one is only 8inchs from the controller, and the controller is only about 12 inches from PSU. And I have my power supply set to somewhere around 12.3-12.5 volts.

Could it be that I'm getting some kind of interference that's affecting my controller? Or is my controller to close to my PSU?
    Last edited by Jyman; 12-06-2018 at 03:17 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast