Thread: I think I'm in trouble

Post Thanks / Like

Default I think I'm in trouble

This past weekend I saw a patriotic light show that someone posted on social media. I showed it to my wife and her comment was "you can do that".

So never having done more than just hang blinking lights on the eves of the house and maybe wreaths on the gable ends I had no clue, and really don't have much of one now.

But every spare moment I have been reading and watching youtube videos trying to learn.

I'm not ready to start buying stuff yet but I'm absorbing info real quick.

I have a very strong electronic and computer background having worked in the I.T. field for the last 15 years.

I look forward to learning from all of you more experienced folks in the future.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: I think I'm in trouble

RUN WHILE YOU STILL CAN!!!

This hobby gets under your skin like no others I know of... and especially so if you already have experience in both electronics and IT. You will see the possibilities and envision things that you can apply to your house... then to your neighbors... then to the whole block... and before you know it, you have hopelessly succumbed to the hobby and you have lost all control of your life.

(but.... the hobby's a hoot and you'll have a blast.... as you lose your mind... and you'll become just like the rest of us...)

Welcome to the craziness that has no end!

http://digwdf.com/store/
    The DIGWDF Store will be closing at the end of December -- but there's still a little stock left!
    While it's still open, please check us out for blinky-flashy gizmos that nobody else on the planet makes!

3. Thanks Airwolf16, tecnageek thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi, welcome to the loss of any spare time and money you had. You join at a very interesting time, given your back ground you will appreciate that this is the equivalent of the end of a contract and everyone is just focused on getting and keeping the show running as come the first of January it’s all over. The reason I say this is an interesting time to join is that a lot of posts relate to real life problems that you may well come across next year, whilst you may not really understand the detail (or even 95%) of what is been discussed you will pick up that ‘x’ was a problem and that doing ‘y’ fixed it and this will put you in good stead. In reality because of pressures of running shows, the forums are at their least supportive to newcomers and to be honest, this is the least sociable we get as a forum because we are all out talking to the public enjoying our displays. I’m sorry if your enthusiastic introduction my not receive as an enthusiastic response, please don’t feel you’re not welcome or being ignored, we just have to focus at the moment.

5. Likes JCook liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Barnabybear View Post
    The reason I say this is an interesting time to join is that a lot of posts relate to real life problems that you may well come across next year, whilst you may not really understand the detail (or even 95%)
    Thank Barnabybear. I'm one of those people that learns best from doing but I'm trying to hold back because of so many other things going on at the house. Mainly getting ready to do my roof in January. I hate paying people for doing things I'm capable of.

I know what you mean about not knowing anything. I'm having to look up a lot of things just from reading posts.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome aboard. The ship of insanity lies ahead! LOL

If you have any questions do not hesitate to ask.
    Thanks,
    Brian, your friendly site Admin.

8. Likes JCook liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to the addiction. Say goodby to your spare time and a lot of money. Group buys will be starting shortly (The null pixel driver GB is already under way) so you do not have a lot of time to lay out your 2019 show and figure out what you need to purchase.

Take a picture of your house from the point where you want your best viewer experience. Blow it up and print it. Draw on it. Revise many times and then plan your purchases.

2018 - Moving and going to visit my Daughter in New Zealand. Most likely I will be dark or nearly dark, Some static stuff that is simple to put up.

Post Thanks / Like

thank god you didn't say you were going to have a show by this Christmas like a lot of new people. It took me 15 months to build my first show, I started with about 5,000 pixels.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JCook View Post
    thank god you didn't say you were going to have a show by this Christmas like a lot of new people. It took me 15 months to build my first show, I started with about 5,000 pixels.
    I literally started with a single RGB strip of 300 lights and an arduino, then added a couple of props here and there, 3 years later I am up to 3,500 RGBs 8 relay channels and growing. (rapidly)

Post Thanks / Like

Pingj,
    Don't let these guys scare you away, including myself. This hobby only gets as complicated as you want it to be. You can have a nice display with a 16 channel renard controller and standard christmas light strings. Or you can go really deep with 10s of pixel controllers and thousands of pixels. The bigger you go the more complex things become to manage.

Just have fun and don't take it too serious. It is just a hobby.

Ask lots of questions and take lots of pictures.
    Thanks,
    Brian, your friendly site Admin.