Thread: Live Streaming

Post Thanks / Like

Default Live Streaming

I have an idea - however - a bit challenging.

Live Streaming from the DVR cameras. The DVR supports "X" amount of users @ one time.

I do not do Music Sync'd shows - however if this works, I will seriously consider it providing it does not cause a network bottle neck.

I have 3 physically separate networks. Local LAN, Internet and Lights.

Idea is to have a website that will link to the DVR in real time. In some respects, I would imagine my 5mb/s should be fast enough at 640x480 ... I have not had the time to indulge in the math, latencies, etc.

Anyone do something like this or have some experience with what I am considering?

Would be awesome to be able to share with friends and family in real time. I have a 1200 pixel matrix that I would also like to accept remote requests ... It is slated to go from 20x60 to more like 100x300 ... Considered just tossing a Waterproofed "BIG SCREEN TV" - Wife will not have it.

Thanks for any suggestions!
    -Eddie

The missus wants to ride!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Live Streaming

Check your upload speed, because that's the issue you'll need to address. If you have a 5mb internet connection, my guess is that's the download speed and your upload speed is about 1/10th that or less.

http://digwdf.com/store/
    The DIGWDF Store has closed. Thanks to everyone who supported us through the nearly seven years we were open!
    The store will remain open for downloading documentation and other files, including Gerbers and DipTrace design files.

Post Thanks / Like

One of my buddies is using https://webcam.io/ to stream one of his cameras to youtube. It's working great.

Post Thanks / Like

You can Livestream using a cell phone, this will work great if it's a one-time thing.

Post Thanks / Like

How?
    3rd Year - 640 channels - 18,706 lights - 1 Lost Mind
    FACEBOOK: Fallatt's Charlotte Christmas

Post Thanks / Like

There's an app for that

You could also live stream to youtube or facebook via your mobile device. You can do it with a real camera too if you like, but for that you need a hardware encoder for a few hundred bucks.

Post Thanks / Like

Some interesting suggestions Thanks!

What I have to overcome are the cameras I do have. In spite of their reasonably good rendition LOCALLY - I have to acquire cameras with good LOW LIGHT COLOR abilities. The ones I have now? Well they are OK with a bit of light but go into B/W mode (night vision) easily. Not what I wanted. They are OK when everything is *ON* and does not look too bad.

Looking around a bit for some higher resolution and better optics ... I found some that would qualify ... and yeah, not cheap either. So, my thinking is get something with good low light color abilities AND zoom. PTZ was considered but simple remote zoom works fine. I have to check here - I do have some other units to test and ascertain their abilities, it has been awhile.

I verified my UPLOAD speed to average 8-10mb/s. That would work to a single web page and then their servers can handle the user requests.

For now, I can see the lights in the comfort of my study to know they are working. That is good enough - especially when tweaking the display a bit.

I was so far behind and had a few "OH CRAP!" issues - I think the wife is onboard with the designing aspect for 2019. Now if I could only get her to write some code ...
    Last edited by RGB_Mixer; 12-31-2018 at 10:56 AM.
    -Eddie

The missus wants to ride!

Post Thanks / Like

Where do you want to live stream to, Facebook, Youtube or a personal website? Facebook or Youtube has go-live capabilities? If you want to go live anywhere else you'll need an account with Livestream/Vimeo or some kind of membership. You can use you're mobile phone for any of these options or there are cameras that have bluetooth connectivity such as a GoPro.

Post Thanks / Like

So I'm not sure how you'll pull the video feed from the cameras because I don't know what they support. If it's something like rtsp, you'll told be able to get OBS to pull the steam and live stream it YouTube or twitch or Facebook. I use OBS a bunch so let me know if you have questions.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RGB_Mixer View Post
    Some interesting suggestions

Looking around a bit for some higher resolution and better optics ... I found some that would qualify ... and yeah, not cheap either. So, my thinking is get something with good low light color abilities AND zoom. PTZ was considered but simple remote zoom works fine. I have to check here - I do have some other units to test and ascertain their abilities, it has been awhile.

I verified my UPLOAD speed to average 8-10mb/s. That would work to a single web page and then their servers can handle the user requests.

For now, I can see the lights in the comfort of my study to know they are working. That is good enough - especially when tweaking the display a bit.

Bear in mind that better optics and higher definition means a quantum leap in the amount of data to be uploaded, and you're back to the upload speed issue again. I've got the 1GB xfinity plan and this is pretty average for me. with 42mb/s upload speed, I can do hi-def in real time, but even then, it can get iffy....

xfinity_speed-ip6.png

And I just look out the window to see if my display is running. It's just easier.

http://digwdf.com/store/
    The DIGWDF Store has closed. Thanks to everyone who supported us through the nearly seven years we were open!
    The store will remain open for downloading documentation and other files, including Gerbers and DipTrace design files.