Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pole Grid setup as 3 strings of 60 outputting as one long line

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pole Grid setup as 3 strings of 60 outputting as one long line

Not sure where this problem lies, so I'll throw it in here since it's outputting from vixen. I have vertical columns setup in my display consisting of 3 pixel strings of 60 pixels each, zig zagging 60 up, 60 down, 60 up. The column is actually all 180 pixels connected as one long line using the zig zag, and using only one output. In Vixen preview, I set it up as 3 strings of 60 pixels, string 1, 2, 3 from left to right. For my sequences, I was using standard lights previously, where I had the column divided into 10 groups, with each group having it's own string. The sequences make use of lighting up sections of the column. So when converting to pixels, What I did was evenly divide each string into 10 groups. Each group got 6 pixels from each string, so each group of the column got 18 pixels from the total 180, 6 from string 1, 6 from string 2, 6 from string 3, all parallel and lined up, with the thinking that lighting up the group with an effect should light up the section of 6 pixel from each string together like a block of lights. When playing back the sequences in vixen, it looks exactly like what it should.

For the visually inclined, something like this:

String 1 string 2 string 3
    1 1 1
    2 2 2
    3 3 3
    4 4 4
    5 5 5
    6 6 6

With the e682 controller, I set it up as outputting from one output and universe, a string of 180, set to first zig zag after 60, then every 60

Except, now, when I playback the sequence live, when it should be lighting up pixels 1-6 from each of the 3 strings together like a group, it will then just light up 18 consecutive pixels on the string. So string 1 lights up pixels 1-18, instead of string 1 1-6, string 2 1-6, string 3 1-6

I've tinkered a little trying to remove the zig zag just in case (it didn't help), and double checked the settings to no avail. Worth mentioning, it's treating the string exactly as physically wired, so if it tries to light up those 18 consecutive pixels and runs out of pixels, it will then continue on the opposite direction of the next "string"

Where is my mistake here?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Pole Grid setup as 3 strings of 60 outputting as one long line

Please note for the above visual representation of the layout, the forum software so thoughtfully edited my spacing and pushed it all together under string 1, but what it actually was, was each of those columns of 6 pixels was directly underneath it's own string

Post Thanks / Like

I had some people in general hardware throw out some ideas, since I didn't know where the problem could be, but no luck. Anything anybody can think of in Vixen?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm only concerned because I'm supposed to go live tonight a few hours after I'm off work, after already delaying 4 days, and telling people it was tonight for sure. And this is the last remaining issue

Post Thanks / Like

I would suspect something wrong in the patching. I would expect you started in Vixen with defining 3 elements that have 60 children each for the 3 strings. I would model those as 3 vertical strings starting from bottom to top for each one in the preview. Then you can take and make separate groups for the blocks from each of the 3 strings and copy in the appropriate elements. I would make those as separate groups because you may want to work with each full string as well. The key then comes to patching and reconciling how they are physically wired. Does the feed start at the bottom left and run to the top of the first 60 and then down 60 and then back up 60? If so then your patching should be straight forward and use a simple zig zag on the controller. You would patch each of the full strings in Vixen from left to right then. If your controller input starts at the top or the somewhere on the right then things become more interesting and you may need some reversing as well as the zig zags.

6. Thanks XmasinVancouver thanked for this post
    Likes XmasinVancouver liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeffu231 View Post
    I would suspect something wrong in the patching. I would expect you started in Vixen with defining 3 elements that have 60 children each for the 3 strings. I would model those as 3 vertical strings starting from bottom to top for each one in the preview. Then you can take and make separate groups for the blocks from each of the 3 strings and copy in the appropriate elements. I would make those as separate groups because you may want to work with each full string as well. The key then comes to patching and reconciling how they are physically wired. Does the feed start at the bottom left and run to the top of the first 60 and then down 60 and then back up 60? If so then your patching should be straight forward and use a simple zig zag on the controller. You would patch each of the full strings in Vixen from left to right then. If your controller input starts at the top or the somewhere on the right then things become more interesting and you may need some reversing as well as the zig zags.
    Yes, they are physically wired from bottom left to top 60, then down 60, then back up 60 finishing top. For the setup, I defined the hierarchy as such: Poles-->Left pole-->Left pole Bottom/Left pole top--> Then under both the bottom and top group, I listed 5 groups 1-5. Each of those groups then holds 18 pixels, 6 from each "string" adjacent to each other to form a block or mini matrix of 6 x 3. In the preview, I did as you said originally as well. Created 3 strings of 60 pixels each, from bottom to top, then under collections, manually assigned the 18 pixels for the appropriate group spanning the 3 strings. In the e682, it was setup as one output of 180, with zig zag every 60.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeffu231 View Post
    I should also mention, that even while this outputs messed up to the display, on playback in vixen, it looks as intended. When I go to the preview setup, and click on any of the 10 groups, it highlights the exact correct block of 6x3 in pink. Mind boggling. Sorry for the piss poor image, but here's what I could dig up while I'm away from home. You can see the layout/hierarchy for the left pole, along with a faint visual of what one of the "blocks"/groups looks like as intended

poles2.JPG

Post Thanks / Like

Then in patching to the controller, it should be in order from channel 1 to channel 540 (pixel 1 to 180 and no zigzag in Vixen). On the E682, 180 pixels on one output and zigzag every 60 pixels. Should work.
    Ed
    Happily retired

10. Thanks XmasinVancouver thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ezellner View Post
    Then in patching to the controller, it should be in order from channel 1 to channel 540 (pixel 1 to 180 and no zigzag in Vixen). On the E682, 180 pixels on one output and zigzag every 60 pixels. Should work.
    Exactly! and it should work...but it's not for some crazy reason Maybe it's one of those lovely tech issues that just is...and just re-patching everything does the trick?

Post Thanks / Like

The patching to the controller in Vixen must be incorrect. If you click on your first group of 18 on the left of the Display Setup page in Vixen, then select the spreadsheet looking icon below, it should highlight the channels in the controller that are connected to that group. Do you have three widely spaced groups of 18 channels on the controller side? Should be channels 1-18 then channels 181-198 then 361-378 that are highlighted.
    Ed
    Happily retired

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast