Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pole Grid setup as 3 strings of 60 outputting as one long line

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Pole Grid setup as 3 strings of 60 outputting as one long line

I rechecked the patching on both sides, the result is the same . I'm bamboozled. The only thing I can think of, is creating it as one long string instead of 3 and then re-assigning it? Does anybody know what effect the actual preview setup has on Vixen output? Does the preview setup affect the output?

Post Thanks / Like

That sounds like the best plan !
    Keep it simple si... and get it working .
    Let the controller take care of the zig zag solely .

You can always test out other creative ways in the new year .

Post Thanks / Like

I don't believe preview setup should affect output. That's all in the patching. I'd be willing to take a look using TeamViewer if you want. PM me if you do.
    Ed
    Happily retired

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ezellner View Post
    I don't believe preview setup should affect output. That's all in the patching. I'd be willing to take a look using TeamViewer if you want. PM me if you do.
    Thank you kindly. I'm working until 430pm PST. But if the offer still stands then, and i haven't had a brainwave, I'll certainly take you up on that

Post Thanks / Like

The preview has no effect on the output except for when you use location awareness in the effects that support it. The positioning comes from the relative locations in the preview when using locations on effects.

If you are not using location in the effects, then you donít even need a preview to get output to work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by XmasinVancouver View Post
    Thank you kindly. I'm working until 430pm PST. But if the offer still stands then, and i haven't had a brainwave, I'll certainly take you up on that
    Works for me.
    Ed
    Happily retired

Post Thanks / Like

So, just a heads up to anybody who was helping me, following this thread, or anybody reading this post in the future, looking for an answer to their own problems (Hi from the past ) HALLELUJAH!! Consider this resolved. I will add some extra details for reference to others when I have a little more time, but it came down to parameters/filters changing unintentionally in the course of trying to integrate with the physical display. Like everyone, I started by defining elements, groups etc... for the display, and that involves the crucial step of defining characteristics that not only affect how Vixen treats with and works with the item, (catch all for anything being controlled by Vixen) but how it will treat patching. This happens as a first step at least for me, prior to beginning sequencing. I then spend months with things more or less as is while sequencing, assuming properties I have set remain. When it came time to physically connect and integrate vixen to the e682 and physical display, generic placeholder universes and patching orders that were just spammed to make sure everything functions, were no longer accurate or feasible to leave as is. So I unpatched the controller only, telling it not to remove the filters/properties from the elements, and then proceeded to patch the elements back to the controller in a way that was efficient with considerations to physical outputs and universes (including any limitations or issues with the controller). Everything patched back up seemingly without issue, there were no un patched elements, and continuing to sequence and observe with the preview output, there was no reason to suspect an issue. When this issue came about, as can be seen from this entire thread, I kept having to try and re-patch and re-configure things looking for a solution. Everything seemed to look fine on the surface which made no sense at all. It didn't matter if I patched everything straight up from parent items, or selectively and manually patched everything piece by piece. Until I decided to basically re-patch the entire controller today. I unpatched everything, and began manually patching each group and double checking that I was selecting the appropriate adjacent 6 pixels when patching. I went group by group, still no success. Then, something that I had assumed stood out. Even as I was selecting my pixels to patch to the controller, and it was coming back as successful and 0 unpatched....It was saying 6 patch points. I normally don't patch small amounts like that, so I'm so used to seeing large numbers reported patched in the 3 to 4 digit range, and don't bother ever doing the math to confirm since it's uncessary. And it occurred to me, there's 6 pixels, and it's reporting 6 patches successful, and I had assumed that was confirmation that all 6 were patched correctly as pixels. Not to mention, it seemed like filters like color still showed in the interface and played back. Normally, If I patch pixels and select 10 pixels for example, it automatically knows to patch 30 CHANNELS. I wondered, could this actually refer to channels, not 1 to 1 patches per pixel? Bingo! It was only patching 6 CHANNELS instead of 6 PIXELS. Oddly, the light properties were still present designating them as "any color: RGB", so I thought they were still patching as pixels. After switching the color property to one color only on the parent item (aka standard lights setting), ok'ing, then re-opening the color property and switching it back to Any color: RGB, when I patched, it was now reporting 18 points when patching 6 pixels, confirming my theory.

That was a hell of a relief since it made everything look like crap lol. After doing one more round of patching from scratch, the damn columns are finally acting as intended!!!! Thanks anyone who helped or tossed in 2 cents.

As a side note for the devs, something that may be obvious to many can easily become problematic for some who may not spend a lot of time with computers. The interface is fine, no problems there. But perhaps a feature tweak for suggestion with the ui: for pixels, something as simple as having the 3 channels have a slightly different background color or alternating shade to visually indicate they are grouped together. Or even adding text to the confirmation box like 18 channels patched (6 pixels) etc... That may seem ridiculous, but if the goal is to continue to bring people into the fold, the barrier for entry has to be as low as feasible without loosing the skill and advanced abilities. I know from my experience, that the fear that it would be too complex or hard scares away people from trying this hobby.

Post Thanks / Like

Glad you got it figured out! Feels great to see it working as intended, doesn't it?
    Ed
    Happily retired

Post Thanks / Like

Glad you got it working. Problems like this almost always turn out to be some sort of patching snafu. The term pixel is a bit subjective and assuming they have 3 outputs is not always correct, because there are fixtures out there that are RGBW and have 4 outputs. Throw in moving heads and other things that folks dream up and the terminology things can get confusing. There are a lot of ways to see how things are configured in the display setup that can provide value. There are counts in the center section that can show how things are assembled and the graphical display can provide a lot of value with a picture. We probably need to add some videos that walk through how to use all that information so folks can use it appropriately. All the tools are there and it comes down to trying to make it as friendly as possible.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12