Thread: Any reason not to use cheap EVGA computer power supply?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Any reason not to use cheap EVGA computer power supply?

As the title says, is there a reason not to use a cheap EVGA power supply to power the Christmas lights? I found this one on amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/EVGA-Warranty...dp/B01LYRXRDI/

It has 12V 52A (624W) and 5V 20A, up to 650W total all for $50. That's less than I would pay for three PSUs from WiredWatts and more power on the 12V rail so I don't need to worry about mixing up two power supplies and burning them out. Obviously this one isn't Bronze/Gold rated because it's super cheap, but it should work right? Unless there's some factor of it being outside in the weather (in a CG1500 or BUD box of course) that I'm not considering.

Thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Any reason not to use cheap EVGA computer power supply?

I have several pc power supplies in my display. They have been great for 4 years now.

3. Thanks jakabo27 thanked for this post
    Likes jakabo27 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Computer power supplies work great for me, never had a problem with them. You do realize though that you will need to "jump" 2 wires to make it turn on. Also I cut off all the plug ends on mine and solder larger wires to the board.
    Last edited by mikel3332; 12-05-2018 at 11:20 AM. Reason: more info
    Flash Flash Blink Blink,,Oh What A Relief It Is

5. Thanks jakabo27 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

If you generically mean any PC PSU, they are fine to use.
    If you have specific questions about that brand and model, that is different and I have little knowledge. I looked up the specs and it is a "single rail" design which is good for our purposes.
    I would suggest that run of the mill PC PSU's are commodity items, very available and easily replaced. If you want to go that route, you will be in good company.

There is a LOT of info out there about using a PC PSU as a generic (or bench) power supply. A couple Googles will tell you more than you care to know.
    mikel3332 made a comment about "jump 2" wires. That is covered in depth as well and may not be a factor any more.
    There are several places that make breakout boards for ATX power supplies to be used as generic power supplies. They generally do not have enough current handling ability to be useful for us.
    mikel3332 also made a comment about using larger wires. I effectively do the same thing by joining all the yellow wires together and then all the black wires together.
    Then can be a complication with my method if the PSU uses a "Dual Rail' design that splits power between 2 buses. Cross connecting the rails is bad.

good luck

7. Thanks jakabo27 thanked for this post