Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just wondering....

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Just wondering....

Quote Originally Posted by jchuchla View Post
    In addition to my above comments, I'd also recommend not trying to create a full blown display in year one. Pick a prop or display feature, master that, and then add more the following year.

And also keep in mind the cost of maintenance, and the time to keep up with it. Things will fail eventually. Pixels are more failure prone than standard AC string lights. They're also more complicated and time consuming to repair. My the time you're a few years into building up your display, you're going to find that your earlier props are in need of more and more maintenance.
    I understand what your saying... However, I am married to a redhead...Redheads are very determined people... When she saw this pixel display locally, she now has to have one.... When I couldn't figure out linking the elements she jumped on and began trying to figure it out herself... She didn't succeed but once she makes up her mind....well, you know the old saying... A Happy wife is a happy life... I'm gonna do what I can to put something together... Might not be too extravagant but it will be a valid effort

I'm going to start with a Pixel Matrix... We can use that for more holidays..
    Last edited by jessepatty; 12-03-2018 at 05:14 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I would also like to add

Map out what you want your display to look like in 5-7 years, this will help keep you on track year after year.

take a photo of the house, and draw on it, get a layout for it.

it is really easy to get side tracked in this hobby as there are many many options. Having an "end"(never really is an end is there?) goal will help keep you on track.
    [2017] 32 Renard Channels, 3360 LED Lights
    [2018] 208 Renard Channels, 13240 LED Lights, 2 projectors, and one donkey

Post Thanks / Like

Good thought... Yeah I agree with you, this does offer allot of options and elements so I can see getting overwhelmed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Airwolf16 View Post
    I would also like to add

Map out what you want your display to look like in 5-7 years, this will help keep you on track year after year.

take a photo of the house, and draw on it, get a layout for it.

it is really easy to get side tracked in this hobby as there are many many options. Having an "end"(never really is an end is there?) goal will help keep you on track.
    Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with all these suggestions. I too have a mixture of pixel types, controllers, etc in my show. I've used both Vixen and xLights. Probably the only thing that I would add that I forgot in my original post ... seek out the shows in your area and see if you can talk to people who are doing them. After they are up and running smoothly, they might have some time to show you around and answer some of your questions. A behind-the-scenes tour is a great way to learn a lot fast.
    Keith

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jessepatty View Post
    However, I am married to a redhead...Redheads are very determined people... A Happy wife is a happy life...
    Dang I know this one, wife and daughter. But the beer budget is sound, so all works out when the lights go on. They are both happy.

Post Thanks / Like

Everybody is different for what they want to put in and get out of the hobby but I too have a mix of AC LED strings, Pixels, and dumb RGB. I started with AC strings and LOR controllers and I evolve every year.
    Although I am a voracious reader/researcher, I am still a try-it kind of guy. I learn a lot by trying (and failing) before I learn enough to "engineer" or finalize a solution.

Invest in a Zip-Tie manufacturer.

Post Thanks / Like

While I tell a lot of people to use zip ties, almost 80% of the fasteners in my show are velcro strips. Many of them are 5 years old or more and are still going strong. Great for going around a tree or branch etc.

2018 - Moving and going to visit my Daughter in New Zealand. Most likely I will be dark or nearly dark, Some static stuff that is simple to put up.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12