Thread: GFCI trip sensor

Post Thanks / Like

Default GFCI trip sensor

Anyone know of a way to get a text or email message when a GFCI trips?
    I currently have a wemo running off the GFCI of concern but it involves checking the app to see if it still reports. Would like something to let me know with minimal work on my part.

Thanks,
    James S.
    Columbus GA, USA

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: GFCI trip sensor

There are some devices out there that can text you when a circuit trips but they are cellular based and would require a monthly fee, like a cell phone.

There are some devices that can sound a buzzer or alarm when a circuit looses power but that would only work if you were home.

I do not know of any wifi devices that would notify you in the event of a power failure. After all the device would lose power and then it could not do anything.

You could set something up with a relay or some z-wave devices but that would require a smart hub or home automation system.
    Thanks,
    Brian, your friendly site Admin.

Post Thanks / Like

Setup a UPS to power a modem & WiFi router that links to any Z-Wave, X-10 or other device on the protected side of the GFCI which in turn reports a "POWER OKAY"
    signal back to the "RECEIVER". In the event of a complete power failure, as long as the necessary components have power available, they can report a problem.

Most "COMMERCIAL GRADE" (or higher) UPS have an automatic e-mail feature to send you email alerts to power failures, battery failures, etc. I have several APC UPS systems that support this feature.

I have an X-10 communicator and Z-Wave bridge connected to a small PC stuffed into the "CLOSET" - that is its only job - communications. So it is tiny, no fans required and power consumption is less than 50w total.

Just a note that there are ways to work with annoying power failures.
    Eddie

P.S. To my knowledge, there are no GFCI devices that directly support a "POWER OK" output. To create one for full time monitoring: This requires a GFCI breaker in the panel and a device to monitor its voltage. There are some "SECURE INSTALLATIONS" which require this level of monitoring.
    Last edited by RGB_Mixer; 12-02-2018 at 11:30 AM.
    -Eddie

The missus wants to ride!

Post Thanks / Like

We use a sensaphone at work for monitoring our remote comm sites. They monitor contact closures, power sensors, temperature. Includes phone alerts, sms messaging and email capability. Not cheap. I think around $350.

Post Thanks / Like

Guess I just have to deal with the GFCI... Good news it only kills half the display.

Thanks yall.
    Columbus GA, USA

Post Thanks / Like

I did see GFCI outlets with an audible alarm last time i was at Home Depot.
    2012 Second Animated Christmas
    http://vimeo.com/33886466
    http://www.christmasinwarren.com

Become a Supporting Member of DIYC! Click Here
    Tip: Backup your sequences on a free cloud storage site like Dropbox. Click Here for free 2Gb storage.

Click here to show/hide my display details ...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aknflyer View Post
    We use a sensaphone at work for monitoring our remote comm sites. They monitor contact closures, power sensors, temperature. Includes phone alerts, sms messaging and email capability. Not cheap. I think around $350.
    It is nice to have deep pockets ;)
    -Eddie

The missus wants to ride!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jklingert View Post
    I did see GFCI outlets with an audible alarm last time i was at Home Depot.
    So long as it doesn't wake the neighbors if it trips at night then that could be a solution.

I'm not familiar with Wemo so if it doesn't operate this way then it wouldn't work, but if you can get it to alert you upon power up then you could install a 120VAC NC SPST (Normally closed, Single Pole Single Throw) relay to the load side of the GFCI and then run the Line side power through the NC contacts to power up the Wemo when the GFCI trips off.

Maybe $10 or $20 for the relay and electrical box, the rest you would probably already have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

The wemo wont post a message when it has power. Would be the same process I currently have to see if it is up or not.
    Columbus GA, USA

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RGB_Mixer View Post
    It is nice to have deep pockets ;)
    Those are oil company deep pockets. Peanuts to them, as an outage is super expensive. As the contractor tech support I get a call within 1 minute. Just saying there options, but not cheap.
    Last edited by aknflyer; 12-04-2018 at 03:09 AM. Reason: add detail