Thread: Something Is So Wrong

Post Thanks / Like

Default Something Is So Wrong

A great board member passed along this install tutorial and I FOLLOWED IT TO A "T"

I have a 5X6 P10 matrix, the layout of the panels is correct and I can access FPP via wifi and hardwired.
    After setting up the panels, saving and restarting FPP refreshes and nothing is correct - the layout goes back to a 1 panel setup.
    I once again set it up for 5X6 and then I get a save error.

Rebooting starts the PI and random panels light up and nothing works - not even the test mode.
    On the Status Page it shows that FPP has stopped and clicking Restart FPP does nothing.
    I have performed multiple clean install of the FPP software, refomatted (correctly) both the SD card and USB drive.

Something must be going on that is beyond my control - does anyone any ideas.

Thank you

The way I do a Pi FPP v2.0 Load/Update

UPDATED 7/9/2018 2:30PM PST Added Dan's new image link.

Download Latest FPP v2.0 image (as of 7/6/208) This is the latest image, but not the latest update – later we will update. Download file from our friend Daniel Kulp .

Dan just uploaded new images for both the BBB and Pi to:
    http://dankulp.com/bbb/ Pi users, down load:
    FPP-v2.0-Beta-Pi-20180709.zip

For BeagleBone there is a different set of instructions...and Image File. [thanks Mark Ambers]

Update: 0711\2018 adding - - - - About Image 20180709
    If you previously loaded with 20180315 image and are able to update to 612 or higher (614 as of this comment) then there is no need to load 20180709, you are there.. The new image is 20180315 with all the updates to 612 included. New or previous problematic 20180315 loads should use image 20180709.

Format your uSD with SDFormatter :: (I suggest you use SDFormatter because if is a proven uSD format tool. - You can use others, but they may or may not work.)

Unzip image file. [thanks Mark Ambers]

Write Image to uSD. I use Win32 Disk imager. This is a proven tool – again others may work, but again…they may not

Place uSD into your Pi3B+ Connect Ethernet cable Connect Power (5V, 3A or more - do not underpower)

Wait about 2 minutes
    Startup your browser (not internet explorer-does not work) Edge, Firefox, Safari, or Chrome all work.
    Type FPP/ {enter} into your browser command line
    You should now be looking at the new FPP……There is more – don’t go off on your own yet.

Click Status/Control Tap – then - FPP Settings
    (Bottom Left) Click Advance Settings, Click Grow Filesystem

Reboot

Go to Help, and then click ABOUT
    Click Manual Update…..get lost for 10-15 minutes….big update…..do not interrupt . This will take about 5 to 10 minutes…..maybe a little longer on some networks.

UPDATE MUST BE DONE BEFORE ANYTHING ELSE

Now, go to Status/Control-NETWORK - Click wlan0 and Fill in:
    WPA SSID: and WPA Pre Shared key (PSK) (password)
    Click “Update Interface” Click “Restart Network”

Set your Host name: FPP is good it you have only one FPP and will not get another, otherwise name it something meaningful. I used FPP3P for FPP 3 Plus. This is your host name and generally you can access your FPP via the browser with this name. SAVE

Go to Control/Status – check time and date. Is Time and Date correct? Remember that answer.

Go to Status/Control - config/set time
    At bottom, set your time zone. (Drag tab to bottom for US selections.)
    If your time or date is incorrect, correct now.
    =SUBMIT=

=REBOOT=

You are ready to go.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Something Is So Wrong

Did you go to the FPP settings page and tell it you wanted to use the USB flash drive for storage?

Post Thanks / Like

Problem doesn't sound like an FPP issue. Couple thoughts...…..

- Are you still inserting the USB Drive. If yes, try removing. v2.xx runs on the uSD unless you change to USB Drive. Suggest you get running on uSD storage first.
    - Try another uSD. You may have a faulty one.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I did setup the USB drive as the storage device.

Post Thanks / Like

I will try the SD card first to see what happens.

i have literally spent 5 hours today trying everything.

So if it runs off the SD card is the USB drive bad then or possibly needs another full overwrite format?

Post Thanks / Like

If it runs of the SD then not sure what is happening, but I think FPP gets a little confused. Old v1.xx data format on the USB and nothing on the SD. I had similar problem with a test bench upgrade. Pulled the USB Drive and reloaded....been running fine ever since.
    In Lights Therapy

Post Thanks / Like

Would you suggest just getting a large enough SD card (if it runs off the SD card) to run off of and to store all the sequences?

Post Thanks / Like

32gb is largest FPP can use
    In Lights Therapy

Post Thanks / Like

Well I have been running 9 sequences off the SD card for 2 hours without any glitches.

Thanks for the help

Looks like I can run everything off the SD card so the matrix will be outside tomorrow and I can move on to another project.

Post Thanks / Like

That a big win, take your wife to dinner and relax
    In Lights Therapy