Thread: 2811 pixel timing issue maybe?

Post Thanks / Like

Default 2811 pixel timing issue maybe?

I'm having troubles getting some pixels to work properly and I'm wondering if it's because I have a mix of old and new pixels in one string. Could the different timing of the new and old 2811's be screwing me up? I have 8 48 pixel boscoyo candy canes in a string being controlled by a pixel extender from a bridge with 4.04 firmware. If I just do a simple test of one color, everything works fine. But if I get into cycling colors or running them in a sequence then they seem to get all funky. I've checked all my connections, I'm power injecting in the middle of the string, I'm not sure what else it could be. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks,

Rob

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: 2811 pixel timing issue maybe?

The inter frame gap timing would hit you if the new string was connected directly to the controller. If it is a few hundred pixels away from the controller then the new string will have plenty of gap. Interframe gap issues would also show up in a single color test.

This does sound like a power problem. You may be injecting power, but is it "good" power. Injecting power using a small wire that has gone a long distance does you no good. Have you measured the voltage on the string at the injection point when you are running full white?

2018 - Moving and going to visit my Daughter in New Zealand. Most likely I will be dark or nearly dark, Some static stuff that is simple to put up.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Martin,

I'll have a look at it again. I'm using the same setup on pixel minis and don't have any issues. The only difference I could think of was that I have a mix of old and new pixels in the setup I'm having trouble with. I'm running Xlights, and if I do a single color test, it works fine. If I do the cycle between all 3 colors and full white, that's when it starts to screw up. All 8 candy canes will go red, then after that only the first 4 canes will cycle and the last 4 canes stay at red. If I log into my bridge and just test manually there, I can go between colors no problem on all 8 canes.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MartinMueller2003 View Post
    The inter frame gap timing would hit you if the new string was connected directly to the controller. If it is a few hundred pixels away from the controller then the new string will have plenty of gap. Interframe gap issues would also show up in a single color test.

This does sound like a power problem. You may be injecting power, but is it "good" power. Injecting power using a small wire that has gone a long distance does you no good. Have you measured the voltage on the string at the injection point when you are running full white?

You 'da man Martin! Added some more power injection, and everything is tickety boo. I'm not sure how some of my other setups are running with no issues, but I'll dig into it a little more in the spring. All my cables are under about 14 inches of snow now, so I prefer to not touch anything as long as it's working.

Thanks again,

Rob