Thread: Physical Layout issue on roofline

Post Thanks / Like

Default Physical Layout issue on roofline

Nothing like last minute problems.

I now realize I made a mistake when laying out the outline for my roof. I decided to go with 2 polyline segments because it was easier to wire, rather than having data come in one end and run all the way through. The two segments begin in the same spot. One essentially rotates clockwise, while the other goes counter-clockwise. Initially I used a single polyline in Xlights, but that obviously doesn't work because the green node which indicates the start point is not in the correct place. When I create two separate polyline segments, originating at the same spot, it all seems to work correctly, but only when I apply effects to the individual segments. I created a model group with both polyline segments in it, and this is where things don't quite look right.

If I apply the marquee or single line effect to the model group, for example, and by changing the render style I could get the effect to apply to both polylines, but they both appear to come from the same starting point with half going clockwise and the other half going counter-clockwise. Is there a way to get these two separate polylines, with the same start point, to appear as one singular line? Or can that only be accomplished through physical wiring?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Physical Layout issue on roofline

"reverse" the prop.

In some controller hardware (E682), you can "reverse" the pixel order.
    In some sequencing software, you can define the wiring order, or define the starting pixel and direction, or simply check a box that's says reverse.

I had window frames where some started from the bottom left and went clockwise while others started from the bottom right and went counter-clockwise. Using trial and error I found a combination of settings through hardware and software, I was able to make all the frames behave the same.

Post Thanks / Like

Of my 4 windows 2 are clockwise and 2 counter-clock wise (so save the length of power cord). In xLights the green square suggest the starting point.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

The reverse option for the E682 makes sense to me. Does that mean I still model it as two separate poly-lines in Xlights, or do I make it one poly-line?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by A2K97 View Post
    The reverse option for the E682 makes sense to me. Does that mean I still model it as two separate poly-lines in Xlights, or do I make it one poly-line?
    BLUF:
    As soon as you reverse the string on the hardware, the software is none the wiser. If the addresses from string 1 to string 2 are consecutive, you could make your prop a single polyline without doing a model group.

Some details (with a lot glossed over):
    The software doesn't know anything about the physical layout of the prop except for what you tell it (it's this shape, it starts here, it's this long, etc.). The software allows you to build a logical model of your display and map it controller outputs.
    The hardware only knows how to physically talk to the string and how many nodes it has. The WS2811 logical protocol is for each physical node to receive a strings worth of data, strip off and use the first entry, then forward the rest to the next node.

For example, let's say we tell the controller we have a string of 5 pixel nodes. The software will send the controller a data chunk that looks like this:
    [Send to output 1]
    [RGB data for node 1]
    [RGB data for node 2]
    [RGB data for node 3]
    [RGB data for node 4]
    [RGB data for node 5]

The controller will send a data chunk on output 1 that looks like this:
    [RGB data for node 1]
    [RGB data for node 2]
    [RGB data for node 3]
    [RGB data for node 4]
    [RGB data for node 5]

The E682 can reverse the data chunk that came from the software like this:
    [RGB data for node 5]
    [RGB data for node 4]
    [RGB data for node 3]
    [RGB data for node 2]
    [RGB data for node 1]

In your case, your 2 strings are physically and logically wired like this:
    <string1_start> 5 4 3 2 1 <string1_end> <controller> <string2_start> 1 2 3 4 5 <string2_end>

If you reverse string1 on the E682, the physical wiring stays the same but the logical mapping changes to this:
    <string1_start> 1 2 3 4 5 <string1_end> <controller> <string2_start> 1 2 3 4 5 <string2_end>