Thread: Can Routers Live Outside

Post Thanks / Like

Default Can Routers Live Outside

I have had nothing but problems with the WIFI connection to my PI. I tired a bridge as many have suggested but could never get it to work
    Instead I took an old wireless Netgear router and hardwired the PI to it. No internet connection - not needed. Basically I have a WIFI only network setup.

The new router assigned an IP which I can use to connect to the PI with. I want to place the WIFI only router in the garage so I dont have to run a CAT5 through a wall into the house. Can I place a router out in the cold a expect it to survive?

This way I can access via WIFI from inside the house to the outside router thats hardwired to the PI.

Hope this all makes sense.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Can Routers Live Outside

I have placed several routers/switches in dry boxes outside with no issues here in Ohio. My Pi's are all hardwired and they are outside also mainly in CG1500 boxes.
    2016 - 5th. year - Over 18,000 channels E1.31 including 350 Channels Renard, Video Projection - XL/NC - On Falcon Player, up to four megatrees.
    2017 - 6th. year - Moved display to a public park, Over 45,000 E1.31 channels, down to 100 Channels of serial Renard - XLights running on Falcon Player on a raspberry PI.
    2018 - 7th, year - Still at Shawnee Park, over 52,000 E1.31 channels, down to 96 channels of Renard -
    XLights running on Falcon Player on a raspberry PI.

Randy: Xenialights on Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

Wow. Great news.

Your display looks fantastic - I really like the drone shot!

Post Thanks / Like

WiFi Router, 16 port Netgear Click Switch, Falcon Pi Player, Ramsey FMA200 transmitter, and a backup computer with flat screen monitor are all located in our "doghouse" in the field. No heat other than what they develop as a whole. Just a good place out of the rain/snow/sleet. 9th year without a problem!
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

The biggest problem with letting residential routers live outside is that feral routers will lure them into the forest and eat them.

Post Thanks / Like

I use an Asus rt68 in my basement. It covers well over 200' outside. No issues in house or out. It also has 4 lan ports, configurable routing, static assignments. I like it.

Post Thanks / Like

<begin rant>

In general, electronic gear likes (even extreme) cold. Batteries are a notable exception. Batteries hate the cold. Most electronics generate heat, sometimes a lot of heat, and must be cooled to avoid bad things happening.

It is typically not the raw lack of heat that causes problems. Mechanical effects are a bigger issue.
    Plastic parts and enclosures can become brittle at low temps.
    Hot/cold cycles can cause uneven expansion/contraction.
    Uneven expansion/contraction can apply stresses to brittle parts and cause breakage.
    The same forces can cause connections to loosen.
    Hot/cold cycles combined with humidity can cause condensation even inside "waterproof" seals.

<end rant>

Post Thanks / Like

I've kept network kit in weatherproof cabinets all year round, never had a problem. Just keep it dry and it should be happy.