Thread: DIY Meteor tubes?

Post Thanks / Like

Default DIY Meteor tubes?

Anyone made their own 2811 meteor tubes? Thoughts on doing it, or just better to buy prebuilt?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: DIY Meteor tubes?

Yup, I just have the LED strips (two-sided) in a 1/2" PEX tube.

Post Thanks / Like

Clear tubes and end covers are available at several sources. The community as a whole has done this for some time. Do some searches on the sites.
    Live, Laugh, Love.

Post Thanks / Like

I emailed Ray Wu, and told him exactly what I wanted. Rigid white PCB, Rigid clear outer tube, epoxy potted, 2 sided, 4 core pigtail on top, 50cm and 100cm lengths. There were 50 of them here in under 2 weeks, and I didn't even have to heat up my soldering iron. And they cost less than what I could have done having to buy everything in small quantities.

(DIY means different things to different people)

5. Likes outbreak liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jchuchla View Post
    I emailed Ray Wu, and told him exactly what I wanted. Rigid white PCB, Rigid clear outer tube, epoxy potted, 2 sided, 4 core pigtail on top, 50cm and 100cm lengths. There were 50 of them here in under 2 weeks, and I didn't even have to heat up my soldering iron. And they cost less than what I could have done having to buy everything in small quantities.

(DIY means different things to different people)

What was your rough cost on them from Ray?

Post Thanks / Like

These are not rigid but you may be interested. or search plasma icicles 2.0

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...611.0.0.6S5szD

Post Thanks / Like

I think they were $6 and $8 for 0.5m and 1m lengths. They were basically this product but with different pigtails and white PCBs with back to back LEDs

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jchuchla View Post
    I think they were $6 and $8 for 0.5m and 1m lengths. They were basically this product but with different pigtails and white PCBs with back to back LEDs
    I'd like to know if you can simulate an effect where the icicles appear to be different lengths by lighting a different number of pixels. Do they illuminate so much that you can always tell that they're exactly the same length? Can you pull off something like a starfall where each tube stops at a different length?

Also, what spacing did you use? Any photos/video?

Post Thanks / Like

Mine aren't in my show yet. They're still hanging in my workshop. I got them in 5V and they don't handle voltage drop well at all. You can only get about 4 icicles full white before you start to see color shift. And that's with 2 100cm and 2 50cm icicles. Now, if you don't plan on doing full white patterns and stick with the more sparse typical snowfall effect, you can go a lot further. Probably 20 or so. I don't like designs that are on the edge or that don't handle any possible content I can throw at it. So I'm going to modify all of mine with a buck converter. (one buck per icicle).

I ordered mine with 4 core pigtails and 3-4-3 tees. I plan on using the tees back to back so that's probably only a 12-15" between them.

I would say that yes you can do partial drip effects and it would come off fine. But that probably has a lot to do with how far they are from the viewer. The further the better for the effects, but that also means that doing a partial drip doesn't really make a noticeable difference.