Thread: Accessing my Rpi with my phone?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Accessing my Rpi with my phone?

Noob here to all this blinky flashy stuff. I have 2 displays working, the 1 at church is a 32 string pixel mega tree with a E682 controller operating with a Raspberry Pi 3 B+. My display at home is a basic ac string set up with a Renard SS24 controller operating with a Raspberry Pi 3 B+ as well. The Pi setup along with the fpp was a new experience, man what an adventure, but with a lot of reading, research, youtube videos and all the help from this great forum I managed to get everything up and running. In my reading I noticed some comments about people accessing their pi with their phones, would like to be able to do this but don't have any idea where to start. Thanks in advance for your time.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Accessing my Rpi with my phone?

I access mine via my phone and tablet regularly. This is because I have made sure there is a DNS entry and routing path from my home network to my show network. If you want to access it from "AnyWhere in the world" then I suggest you add VPN capability to your network and create a tunnel from your phone to your show network. You could open a set of ports on your home and show networks and play some routing magic, but that exposes your network to outside influence (aka HUGE security risk).

2018 - Moving and going to visit my Daughter in New Zealand. Most likely I will be dark or nearly dark, Some static stuff that is simple to put up.

3. Thanks oldcaptainrusty thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oldcaptainrusty View Post
    Noob here to all this blinky flashy stuff. I have 2 displays working, the 1 at church is a 32 string pixel mega tree with a E682 controller operating with a Raspberry Pi 3 B+. My display at home is a basic ac string set up with a Renard SS24 controller operating with a Raspberry Pi 3 B+ as well. The Pi setup along with the fpp was a new experience, man what an adventure, but with a lot of reading, research, youtube videos and all the help from this great forum I managed to get everything up and running. In my reading I noticed some comments about people accessing their pi with their phones, would like to be able to do this but don't have any idea where to start. Thanks in advance for your time.
    Make sure your phone is on the same network as your show. Then simply enter the IP address on your phone (just like you do on your computer).

5. Thanks oldcaptainrusty thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replies gentleman. The pi that I would like to access with my phone, the church project, is outside near the main highway. It does not have access to a wifi network or a lan connection. If I understand it correctly the pi 3B+ has wifi capabilities. I'm not familiar with how it functions or the requirements for set up. Obviously it is a country boy here posing this question, not knowing anything about the subject at hand.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oldcaptainrusty View Post
    If I understand it correctly the pi 3B+ has wifi capabilities.
    yes it has wifi built in to connect to an existing wifi router. Now I've heard that with FPP 2.x you can set the pi to be an access point. If you can do than then you can connect directly to the Pi. If you are not proficient with networking then you could install a small 3g Router and connect the Pi to it, then your phone can access it via wifi.

I used one of these to create my mobile network in my Halloween costumes. click here

Post Thanks / Like

FPP 2.x supports the PI in AP mode. Since the PI is not connected to the Internet, does it run any time based operations (Turn on at 5 off at 9 etc.)? If so, does it have an RTC installed? The PI does not hold current date and time across reboots.

2018 - Moving and going to visit my Daughter in New Zealand. Most likely I will be dark or nearly dark, Some static stuff that is simple to put up.

Post Thanks / Like

I am running FPP2.1 right now. I did install an RTC, I set the scheduler to run all the time so when it powers up it boots and plays the sequence. The power is on a timer for the evening hours. It sounds like setting up the AP is the way to go. Thanks for the info and the link. A friend of mine at church is an IT guy, I'll pick his brain and see what he can come up with. Thanks for your time.

Post Thanks / Like

FYI: It is a bad idea to be yanking the power on the PI using your timer. If you need to control the show that way then I suggest you add a script to the PI that shuts the PI down shortly before the power is turned off. That way the PI closes all files and is in a safe state to cycle power.

Typically I leave power on at all times and use the scheduler to turn things on and off. The PI does not draw all that much power and (in cold areas) it is good to not let the PI get too cold. Keeping things running keeps them warm and happy.