Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How To? Parts list?

Post Thanks / Like

Default How To? Parts list?

Is someone going to post a How to for building the board and the display? Also a detailed parts list would be great. And maybe make it a sticky so it is easy to find, and doesn't get crowded with useless info.

Just a request from someone who wants to build one.
    David Scott

If it aint broke, I got a bigger hammer.

Post Thanks / Like

Default How to Document

Dave,

I have written a draft manual and I have asked Brian if we can host documents on this site in preference to linking to another site. (one stop shop)

For anyone who is interested, I can email the PDF or Word doc to you.

Just PM me,

John.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: How to Document

Quote Originally Posted by wjohn
    Dave,

I have written a draft manual and I have asked Brian if we can host documents on this site in preference to linking to another site. (one stop shop)

For anyone who is interested, I can email the PDF or Word doc to you.

Just PM me,

John.

Files can now be added to posts. Please attach your PDF doc to this forum thread. Of if you only want to PM it, please send a copy my way.

Thanks
    Matt Stemple

Post Thanks / Like

Default Detailed Photos/Instructions: LEDTRIK Board Assembly Process

Quote Originally Posted by Mrplow123
    Is someone going to post a How to for building the board and the display? Also a detailed parts list would be great. And maybe make it a sticky so it is easy to find, and doesn't get crowded with useless info.

Just a request from someone who wants to build one.
    Hi Dave,

Like you, I wanted more detailed "How to" instructions for building the LEDTRIK board(s) as I am new to this project too. With the assistance of John's LEDTRIK Assembly Manual (and some clarifications via email from Matt Stemple ** Thanks Matt ** ), I have completed the assembly of two LEDTRIK boards.

As such, I have constructed very detailed, step-by-step instructions (with detailed photos) on the assembly process itself. It was my hope that these instructions/photo's of the construction process itself could be integrated into John's existing manual in the form of an updated version - more to follow as the construction process continues.

I will continue to record detailed instructions/photos of the following processes as well:

1. LEDTRIK Board -> PC Connection (Power Supply)
    2. Building the Interface Cable (now in progress)
    3. Building The LED Panel(s) (now in progress)

Cheers -

David S. Van Teslaar
    d.vanteslaar@ieee.org

Post Script - Below are a few photographic examples (of the competed boards). I will be posting the photo's detailing the assembly process shortly.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Default How do we get an Avatar ?

WHO IS THE MODERATOR OF THIS FORUM? I WANT TO ADD AN AVATAR TO MY SIGNATURE BLOCK, BUT THE F.A.Q SECTION SAYS I NEED TO CONTACT THE FORUM MODERATOR TO REQUEST IT. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHO THAT IS ??

Cheers -

David S. Van Teslaar 8)
    d.vanteslaar@ieee.org

Post Thanks / Like

ummm,

nice big photos!

Dave, i left you an email about contributions to the current docx and wiki. If we can improve those, in preference to starting a new set of docs, i'd appreciate that. More than happy to include you and anyone else's contributions.

John.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wjohn
    ummm,

nice big photos!

Dave, i left you an email about contributions to the current docx and wiki. If we can improve those, in preference to starting a new set of docs, i'd appreciate that. More than happy to include you and anyone else's contributions.

John.
    Hi John,

K.O ... I'll make my contributions, as you suggested, to the wiki and .docx files.

Yeah ... those photos were a little larger than I would have liked (forgot to resize them before posting)! Well, no one can say that they can't see any details!!

Cheers -

David S. Van Teslaar
    d.vanteslaar@ieee.org

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Cable Making / Wiki

Dave -

Wiki Notes
    Now that the Wiki is here, building / Updating an external doc is no long needed. Also you don't have to ask permission to add / update the wiki. The wiki is owned by everyone that contributes to it. Also if someone doesn't like your changes, they will update your work. Thats where the wiki power comes in.

Cable Notes
    You mentioned that you were building the cable. I hope you aren't spending much time on it (maybe you are already doing this?). This is how can build the cable in 30 seconds:
    http://www.mouser.com/search/Product...ey601-40-9588M

Mouser #601-40-9588M

Use a DB25 Male to RJ45 Connector. I didn't use this exact one, I have a pile of them from various other project. All you do is push the pins from the RJ45 plug through the holes of the DB25 plug (based on the wire pin out on the PCB) and you are done. A normal cat-5 patch cable is then used between the connector and the LedTricks board. Easy Easy!

ms
    Matt Stemple

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stempile
    Dave -

Wiki Notes
    Now that the Wiki is here, building / Updating an external doc is no long needed. Also you don't have to ask permission to add / update the wiki. The wiki is owned by everyone that contributes to it. Also if someone doesn't like your changes, they will update your work. Thats where the wiki power comes in.

Cable Notes
    You mentioned that you were building the cable. I hope you aren't spending much time on it (maybe you are already doing this?). This is how can build the cable in 30 seconds: http://www.mouser.com/search/Product...ey601-40-9588M

Use a DB25 Male to RJ45 Connector. I didn't use this exact one, I have a pile of them from various other project. All you do is push the pins from the RJ45 plug through the holes of the DB25 plug (based on the wire pin out on the PCB) and you are done. A normal cat-5 patch cable is then used between the connector and the LedTricks board. Easy Easy!

ms
    Matt,

Thanks for the information - you basically confirmed the very same thing that John had mentioned in an email to me.

I checked out the link you posted regarding the construction of an the interface cable - that's great information and I will include that in the update to wiki! Thanks again!!

David 8)

Post Thanks / Like

Make sure you get the DB25 Male End. Parallel ports on the back of you PC are Female, so you need a male to plug into it. I put the wrong link in before and you quoted me with the wrong link. I edited my post and corrected the link and added the specific Mouser Part #40-9588M. I have not specifically verified that part. To make sure its correct update or remove my quote from your past as I was wrong.

ms
    Matt Stemple

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast