Thread: What type of ladder do you have?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What type of ladder do you have?

I need to buy a ladder next week for setup. I used to borrow one that’s 1AA rated but don’t have access to it anymore. I’m not sure how strong to go. Mine needs to be 28 foot and will only be used for Christmas Lights on the eaves (1.5 stories). I weigh 165 lbs.
    Last edited by dcamron; 11-22-2018 at 05:02 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What type of ladder do you have?

For 165lbs, any rating will do. Keep in mind that the heavier the rating, the heavier the ladder. Itís not necessarily better to buy heavier duty if itís gonna make it harder to move around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Aluminum ladders flex so not as secure in my opinion. I would do a fiberglass. Class 1 is 250#. The ladder is heavy, but may do a better job keeping the doctor away.
    In Lights Therapy

Post Thanks / Like

165 pounds? I think I weighed that when I was 4.... and it's only gone up from there...

http://digwdf.com/store/
    The DIGWDF Store is closed for all sales. Thanks to everyone who supported us through the years!
    User guides, documentation and other files are still free and available for downloading.

Post Thanks / Like

An Aluminum Ladder will be fine, much cheaper and lighter than Fiberglass.

Post Thanks / Like

The only thing to keep in mind about aluminum is that they're conductive. That's why most electricians don't use aluminum ladders. It's not really a big deal with low voltage stuff. But it's something to be aware of.

Post Thanks / Like

I would suggest a Type II at the least but prefer a IA. This will allow most people to be able to utilize the ladder safely. A Type III is rated at 200 lbs. I would max it out and if I am carrying anything with me I am over its weight rating. Type II is rated at 225. This will give a little buffer and should cover you at 165 plus anything you may carry or hoist up. A Type IAA is way overkill and very heavy.

Type II and IA seem to be the most prevalent at the big box stores.

You can see the ratings here : http://www.cisco-eagle.com/catalog/t...le-LadderSafe1

Fiberglass will weigh more than the aluminum but will flex less as well. If you are comfortable on ladders at a height of 28 feet then an aluminum may be good for you. If you are a bit uneasy at that height then fiberglass may be better for you. And the higher the rating the stiffer it will be when extended.

I personally prefer fiberglass as that is what I have used since 1993 when I started working as an electrician.
    Thanks,
    Brian, your friendly site Admin.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 1a 3 slide 32 foot fibberglasss ladder. things is 84 lbs but man is it stable. i also have a 24 foot ladder that i use most of the time but it is a la type 3 rating that flexes allot when at full extension

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Genie Z30/20HD - best investment in my health and safety I've ever made
    2017: 33069 pixels, 24 E682's. 50 A/C with 2 LOR
    2016: 21500 pixels, 24 E682's. 6 A/C with 2 LOR
    2015: 7500 pixels, 11 E682's. 35 A/C with 3 LOR
    2011: 64 A/C channels with 5 LOR