Thread: New Member

Post Thanks / Like

Default New Member

Hi, Iím Steve from England, and Iíve been a Christmas lighting addict pretty much all my life. Not many other 5 year olds were asking Santa for a set of Christmas lights for Christmas!

My displays have been fairly classic in style for many years, increasingly I have been using theatrical controls and bringing in some theatrical style lighting along side the specifically festive stuff - but this year decided to jump in with both feet (very late in the seasons Iím realising) to a sequenced display with pixel mapping.

Very quickly worked out that theatrical controls run out of channel count incredibly quickly so Iíve invested in a Falcon F16 setup and a big box of pixels to get started.

Very excited to be joining the community!

Steve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: New Member

welcome to the addiction. There are many more steps to your journey. Take a look at vixen, xLights and HLS. These are free sequencers that you can use to generate your show. I love to use the the PI plus FPP free software to run the show.

2018 - Moving and going to visit my Daughter in New Zealand. Most likely I will be dark or nearly dark, Some static stuff that is simple to put up.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool thanks, Iíve been trying out Vixen and XLights - Iíll give HLS a go too!

A lot of my display will be recycled from last year so Iíll have to work out a way to control my standard strings of LED lights. We have wall wart style transformers on everything here, usually with polarity switching ďtwinkleĒ modes - what would you recommend - get rid of the wall wart and replace with led driver and external psu? Worst case I can just use a relay board but would be nice to have intensity control.

Cheers, Steve.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, Steve Iím from North Nottinghamshire itís nice to see another face from the UK on here. I have some of those lights and have found that because of the start up delay the best thing is to leave them on static and switch the controller output with a triac. No dimming though.

Post Thanks / Like

Renard series controller with the AC ssr on them will take care of your existing LEDs.

2018 - Moving and going to visit my Daughter in New Zealand. Most likely I will be dark or nearly dark, Some static stuff that is simple to put up.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome Steve, we share one thing in common, our last names. Although I am in Alaska. Welcome to the forum!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aknflyer View Post
    Welcome Steve, we share one thing in common, our last names. Although I am in Alaska. Welcome to the forum!
    Awesome, where about in Alaska? I did a bit of a road trip up there a few years back, such a stunning part of the world!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ratcliffe View Post
    Awesome, where about in Alaska? I did a bit of a road trip up there a few years back, such a stunning part of the world!

I am in Anchorage, AK. Yes it is a beautiful place. I have heard we were from England, but that info is lost and noone to ask.