Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What are you doing with wall wart plugs?

Post Thanks / Like

Default What are you doing with wall wart plugs?

Original post was to cover connections outside the box. From the responses, i am looking to power everything inside. This includes the rasberry Pi, wireless router, FM transmitter and network switch. Skip to post #8.

This is the original post;
    Trying to figure out how to protect the plugs for my router and RPi3 from the weather. I have the components in a CG1500 box, but not sure how to protect the plugs outside the boxcase. My bigger issue is my FM transmitter where the plug is hardwired to the board - no was to pass through the box.
    Last edited by ben&bobbi; 09-04-2019 at 04:45 PM. Reason: clarified post request
    http://www.vixenlights.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Vixen3-Logo-435x165White-300x107.png

2. Likes mrGrumpy liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What are you doing with wall wart plugs?

I remove then and use power from the power supply.
    In Lights Therapy

Post Thanks / Like

I also cut them off and replace with buck converters.

Post Thanks / Like

Run an AC line into the CG1500 w/ 2 or 3 vampire plugs
    Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ruppro View Post
    Run an AC line into the CG1500 w/ 2 or 3 vampire plugs
    This one might work, It was kind of what i was thinking was going to be my best option.

Quote Originally Posted by mrGrumpy View Post
    I remove then and use power from the power supply.
    I don't have a power supply in the box. I am assuming (have not checked) they are all different voltages.
    http://www.vixenlights.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Vixen3-Logo-435x165White-300x107.png

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ben&bobbi View Post
    This one might work, It was kind of what i was thinking was going to be my best option.
    I don't have a power supply in the box. I am assuming (have not checked) they are all different voltages.
    I donít use wall warts. I would put a small power supply in the box and as dcamron shared, a Buck Converter for the Pi. Wall warts tend to interfere with FM transmitter, so test everything (in position) before you mount anything
    In Lights Therapy

Post Thanks / Like

I connect a vampire plug in parallel with the 120 power to the power supply which should be in a case and then plug the wall wart into the vampire plug Only needs a short piece of cord and one plug. You could also cut a 1ft piece off an extension cord and connect the ends to the 120 input screws. Works great.
    Jim Nealand
    Kennesaw, Ga

Post Thanks / Like

Doing some wiring cleanup finally.

Looking to put the wireless router, FM transmitter, rasberry Pi, and a switch in the CG1500 box. Looks like it will all fit fine. Any reason these shouldn't be together?

This looks like it will power the 5v Pi, the 12v transmitter and router. I am not sure what the switch needs yet, I don't have it yet. I also have no need for the 24v output. Is there an easier, more cost effective way?

https://www.amazon.com/MEAN-WELL-RT-...ateway&sr=8-36

Also, any ideas for a simple small switch for the FM transmitter. I don't want it to come on without an antenna connected.
    Last edited by ben&bobbi; 09-04-2019 at 04:46 PM. Reason: added switch question and added router is 12v

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmmm.... I'm going to guess that with all those electronics so close to one another, you're going to get some transmission anomalies and possibly dead spots, depending on the orientations of the antennae inside. Even though the FM and Wi-Fi signals are quite far apart in the spectrum, I just have to believe that putting them that close together is going to affect their radiation patterns. For one thing, folks that are "in the know" usually will tell you not to put a wireless router immediately next to a wall but rather, more out in open space. It's also why you'll generally see police and other emergency vehicles with antennas on the roof, not laying on the dash or taped onto the glass.

Just curious.... why do you feel the need to mount all those parts inside a relatively small box like the CG1500?

http://digwdf.com/store/
    The DIGWDF Store is closed for all sales. Thanks to everyone who supported us through the years!
    User guides, documentation and other files are still free and available for downloading.

Post Thanks / Like

the actual antenna will be well outside the box connected with coax cable - if that makes a difference. This is why i added the need for a switch, so the transmitter doesn't turn on without the antenna connected. I can put the transmitter in a smaller CG box that i have. Right now its in a tupperware container with a bulky wall wart i have to protect from the rain.

I don't need to put it all in one box, just trying to clean things up. Physically there seems to be enough room, i just don't know about the signal stuff. That's why i am asking for more knowledgeable opinions.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast