Thread: Bad batch..

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bad batch..

Just a heads up to anyone else assembling last minute Dirkcheap SSRs. Just finished troubleshooting 7 of the 8 that I just assembled and found I had 7 bad optocoupler ICs that were sent with the kits. Sockets were used and they were not installed until all soldering was complete so they were not subjected to heat. Luckily I had enough new ones on hand to swap out but what a headache.
    -Wife-certified nerd

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Bad batch..

I've had a lot of failures with the V02223a. I made a tester for those but eventually got some SSR's with a test switch and diagnostic lights. I would always recommend putting those in sockets.

AcSSr.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

are we talking about moc3023? I am about to populate 32 ssrez boards still sitting here, and after 10 years running 5 ren24 without ever replacing a single opto, I was about to convince myself to skip the sockets. are they terribly easy to hurt with soldering heat? I am pretty confident of my "touch"

thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cmitcham View Post
    are we talking about moc3023? I am about to populate 32 ssrez boards still sitting here, and after 10 years running 5 ren24 without ever replacing a single opto, I was about to convince myself to skip the sockets. are they terribly easy to hurt with soldering heat? I am pretty confident of my "touch"

thanks.
    Personally, I never use sockets for the MOC's. as I am confident in my soldering skills as well.
    James Family Christmas - 1600 channels of SS Renard channels
    Website - http://jamesfamilychristmas.com/ <<broken
    Facebook - James Family Christmas

Post Thanks / Like

I had the exact same thing happen to me years ago with parts from Mouser for a bunch of Renard SS24.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cmitcham View Post

thanks.
    The DirkCheaps use the V02223A. There aren't many suppliers for those and the price has increased. I've had had enough of them go bad to spend time making a tester. I find it easier to replace one in a socket than to work on a PCB outside or disconnect the SSR to take it inside.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JLStout View Post
    I had the exact same thing happen to me years ago with parts from Mouser for a bunch of Renard SS24.
    I remember that. I made a post about it after some investigating, it was certain date codes that was the issue. Wow, that was a while back.
    James Family Christmas - 1600 channels of SS Renard channels
    Website - http://jamesfamilychristmas.com/ <<broken
    Facebook - James Family Christmas