Thread: Covering windows to block indoor light illuminating windows during shows

Post Thanks / Like

Default Covering windows to block indoor light illuminating windows during shows

I tried to search "blacking out" windows or "covering" windows but of course that wasn't successful. Has anyone dealt with interior light and how to block it?

My house has three different windows that i'm concerned about. There is a bay window that is my office that I sit in for hours on end at night (I work from home at night a lot) illuminating the three windows that make up that bay. There is a foyer window in the middle of the second floor of my house that is almost always illuminated because it has no blinds. Finally, on the first floor, we have two double hung windows that are lit any time we're in the kitchen eating, cooking, doing the dishes, etc. My concern is the show would look better if the windows were all consistently blacked out save for maybe the Christmas tree being visible through the living room bay window.

Part of my has considered thick black plastic bags on the inside or some type of black cardboard material. Is anyone else dealing with this and how?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Covering windows to block indoor light illuminating windows during shows

I work nights shift, and i am trying to keep light out of the bedroom.

i just put the blinds down and using masking tape i tape foil over the window/ behind the blinds. so from the outside you see the blinds, and the curtains inside hide the foil.
    [2017] 32 Renard Channels, 3360 LED Lights
    [2018] 208 Renard Channels, 13240 LED Lights, 2 projectors, and one donkey

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Covering windows to block indoor light illuminating windows during shows

I have a theatre room where I needed to block outside light from coming in. I cut a sheet of hardboard to fit then stapled fabric on the back to simulate pleated drapes. Let the weight rest on the windowsill and you only need a lightweight fastener at the top to make it removable.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Do a google search for "blackout drapes." You'll get lots of hits. Readily available. You could hang them from a spring-loaded bar (like a shower curtain bar) if you needed them to be temporary or not damage the woodwork around the windows.

http://digwdf.com/store/
    The DIGWDF Store will be closing at the end of December -- but there's still a little stock left!
    While it's still open, please check us out for blinky-flashy gizmos that nobody else on the planet makes!

Post Thanks / Like

Blackout Curtains work great. I had them when I lived in a loft downtown and it was pitch black in my place. I bought them at Walmart and I believe the brand was Eclipse
    2016 - 32 LOR Channels - Roughly 5,000 Lights - 2 Sequenced Songs
    2017 - 64 LOR Channels - 9,373 Lights - 4 Sequenced Songs
    2018 - 64 LOR Channels - New House - Complete Redesign - 9,011 Lights - 5 Sequenced Songs

Ridgewood Lights - Facebook Page
    Ridgewood Lights - YouTube Page

Moved Beginning Of 2018, New Display With A New Name Coming End Of 2018!

Best Christmas Lights of 2017

Post Thanks / Like

We use blackout drapes in all of our bedrooms. JCPenney has a large variety of them at reasonable prices. (usually on sale)

Post Thanks / Like

I live in Alaska. Newcomers to Alaska (cheechako's) cannot deal with the 24 hours of daylight in the summer, so they tape aluminum foil over the windows. No light gets through.
    Last edited by aknflyer; 11-16-2018 at 01:10 AM. Reason: spelling