Thread: Network Help

Post Thanks / Like

Default Network Help

I continue to have connection issues between my laptop / desktop (internet connection is wifi) to the RaspPi on the P10 matrix.
    Initially I can connect and make changes but after a short period of time I loose the connection and have reboot the Pi.

Is there a way to connect - using a network cable - directly from my desktop and the PI /FPP to upload media, sequences etc?
    I am running Mac computers.

Thanks
    Bruce
    Last edited by covewi; 11-10-2018 at 03:15 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Network Help

Yes you can connect the PI via CAT5, as long as it has a CAT5 connector on it.

Based on your description you are using a WiFi connection to the PI? If so, this is a known annoyance. There are a ton of suggestions on the RPI forums about disabling the WiFi power management features and keeping the WiFi interface alive. I spent about 30 hours this past month trying to get it to work. I have given up and hauled out my WiFi media bridges yet again. These allow the PI to think they are connected to my network via a wired connection. On the plus side, using the media bridges makes access to the F16s very simple since I do not need to go through the PI.

2018 - Moving and going to visit my Daughter in New Zealand. Most likely I will be dark or nearly dark, Some static stuff that is simple to put up.

Post Thanks / Like

I am so far from knowing anything about networking is scary. I have plugged a CAT5 cable between my desktop MAC the Pi. I found this article https://www.dexterindustries.com/Bri...pi-from-a-mac/ and got this far.
    Screen Shot 2018-11-11 at 9.39.40 AM.png

I am guessing that the desktop MAC is connected to the PI using that IP address - correct? Because if I disconnect the cable from the Pi I lose the connection.

How can I now see and access the Falcon Player software?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I connect the HDMI from the Pi to a monitor - and got the following IP addresses 10.0.0.25 for the wifi (which works) and 192.168.0.10 for ( I am assuming for a hardwire connection) I lose that connection when the CAT 5 is unplugged from the Pi - so its for that device.

new.png

I typed 192.168.0.10 into my browser and nothing happens. What am I missing or (most likely) doing wrong.
    Also have a windows laptop if that would make it any easier.
    Last edited by covewi; 11-11-2018 at 02:16 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Found this video for Windows
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFLtw0uxDYY
    After setting up a network bridge as in the video - can I plug the ethernet cable into the RaspPi and it should act as if its hardwired?

If so - I should be able to access the Pi/FPP via my desktop or laptop.

On the other hand I was able to "share" the internet on my MAC for Wireless to Ethernet.
    The ethernet cable came out of the MAC and connected to a Windows laptop - Yes - I was able to share the internet connection.

Should that type of setup work if I hooked the ethernet cable to the PI?
    I did not work when I tried it.
    Last edited by covewi; 11-17-2018 at 08:45 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

A direct connection between the PI and a PC will require you to manually set the IP address on the devices at each end of the cable before the devices can use the cable.

2018 - Moving and going to visit my Daughter in New Zealand. Most likely I will be dark or nearly dark, Some static stuff that is simple to put up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by covewi View Post
    I connect the HDMI from the Pi to a monitor - and got the following IP addresses 10.0.0.25 for the wifi (which works) and 192.168.0.10 for ( I am assuming for a hardwire connection) I lose that connection when the CAT 5 is unplugged from the Pi - so its for that device.

new.png

I typed 192.168.0.10 into my browser and nothing happens. What am I missing or (most likely) doing wrong.
    Also have a windows laptop if that would make it any easier.
    You will need to change the Configure IP4 to be STATIC and enter an IP address of 192.168.0.xxx, were xxx can be any number between 1 and 254, except 10 because that is the address of the Pi. ie use 192.168.0.11. Then for the Subnet Mask you will need to use 255.255.255.0 (if it does not fill in automatically) and leave the Gateway (router) and DNS entries blank. Then you will be able to connect to FPP
    Last edited by Ruppro; 11-17-2018 at 10:48 PM.
    Matt